getting a title for a bike with no title http://www.its-titles.com/

nkymain485

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran across this site recently and was just curious if anyone had any experiences with this company..... i found a few reviews online that were decent but were really old.... people were saying it was around 250 to get a new title in there name... and that's alot cheaper than getnewtitle.com.... i bought a 72 for 150 bucks with a bill of sale but no title.... so just trying to find the easiest/cheapest way to title it...

i bought my 74 for 175 with no title. went to the dmv told the lady what was up, she ran some numbers, i walked out of there with my title for 25 bucks.

exhaust all your options before spending money like that. all states are different, im in michigan. and if your scared that the 150 dollar score is stolen, you shouldnt have bought it. that could very well be someone's bike that got ripped off and now your jumping through hoops to try and get a title. go to the dmv and get your numbers ran and live the the consequences.

and this has been beaten to fucking death over and over again.

I hear allot of horror stories about getting titles but it always seems to be "someone I know knew somebody else that had a hard time getting a title." I got in touch with the DMV in my state they told me what I needed and I went to the tax office. As I was leaving I commented it was easier than I thought and the lady said "You did your homework and came prepared." Not to say it is an easy process everywhere but doing a little leg work goes a long way.

i bought my 74 for 175 with no title. went to the dmv told the lady what was up, she ran some numbers, i walked out of there with my title for 25 bucks.

exhaust all your options before spending money like that. all states are different, im in michigan. and if your scared that the 150 dollar score is stolen, you shouldnt have bought it. that could very well be someone's bike that got ripped off and now your jumping through hoops to try and get a title. go to the dmv and get your numbers ran and live the the consequences.

and this has been beaten to fucking death over and over again.

I verified on a vin check website similar to carfax that it wasn't reported as being stolen... Also have a bill of sale from the person who sold it to me with his name address etc. He had no problem signing anything...

Couldn't find anything on here really, most answers just say don't buy it it's not worth it...

You're in Ky. I was told by a lady at the DMV in Lexington that to get a title in Ky you have to have a title, either one from in or out of state, but a title. She was real belligerent about it, so it might have been a load of hooey. Go to your DMV and see what they say. You're near Ohio, so maybe sell it to a friend in Ohio who will title it there and sell it back to you and you can swap it for a Ky title.

I am in Florida and found out that they will issue a title if the bike is "antique" with just a bill of sale from the owner. Must be 30 years old or more. They will run the VIN to be sure it does not come up stolen or registered in someone elses name. If someone has registered it in Florida during recent years then they will pop up as owner. If it has no record on the states computer system then you get a title. Same standard cost as any bike title. There is an explanation in Florida Statue laws that says it is legit. An older women who works there and enjoyed talking to me that day did her homework and found the ruling for me. Usually they give you the quick and easy gov't standard answer but that day was different. I think she was very happy that she finally got to wait on someone who spoke english. It pays to be nice to the right person. The art is in finding the right person. I go direct to the county tax collector office and they issue me my title while I wait. Too good to be true.

Got this off the KY DMV website.
The application for Title/Registration must be accompanied by a properly assigned Certificate of Title. In those limited cases where a Certificate of Title does not exist, the person selling the vehicle must give a notarized statement fully explaining ownership of the vehicle.
Might help, might not. There's a form on the website you can submit to see if the bike is in the system. Ky seems pretty black and white about titles you might be hosed.

Here's the link to the KY DMV

You could also apply for a Classic Motorvehicle Project title here.

Vermont is your answer---Check out this site it works---http://www.benboyle.com/blog/?P=16 tim

I left a space but it does not show---do not put "tim" in the address, it's my name---tim

Do not use ITS, many people have had issues with them, including members here. You can also get a necktube and title from somewhere else. I have known people to restamp necktubes if they have a clean clear title.

This is my personal experience with Vermont and Maine:
I have tried to get a title in Vermont and Maine. My friends live there and they were doing it for me. They title the bike, I buy it from them. I even called them directly and talked to the DMV in both states to find out about the process. They now need a registration or title with the bike. Some proof of legal ownership of the seller, not just a bill of sale. They also need someone to sign off on the VIN verification. This is on the bottom of the form. If the bike is out of state you need to take it to an authorized agent, like the state police. My friend in Maine physically went to the DMV to process the paperwork and the VIN verification was, obvioulsy, done out of state. They asked, "well if you are here, where is the bike?". My friend in VT mailed it in and it was returned for not having the registration/title attached to the application. It does not say you need these (title, registration) documents on the website, nor on the application, only a bill of sale with the sellers name, address, ect on it, but when these documents were processed they were returned. The DMV in Vermont even asked my friend where the bike was located now.
Make sure you check with the DMV, not just "someone".
Their phone numbers are on the websites, use them, it can't hurt.

Here in Delaware if you have no title, then no dice. I even have to take my XS's through the Auto Theft Unit, run by state police, to verify that my bike is clean. Even tough I have a clean title, ect, they make me go thru because the XS has only the serial number stamped in the neck, not a full 17 digit VIN, which is on the VIN sticker, but not stamped. It's a complete pain.

Last edited:
Yeah the easy title states are getting smart and stopping us scuff laws from using them to title out of state bikes. I got two through Michigan before they clamped down...... Wisconsin is a PITA state. I still intend to do a "title bond" bike this winter and will report on the process if I get R done. The state holds your money for I think three years to help protect THEM from someone showing up with a valid title to the bike in your possession. The proccess is NOT advertised, but is buried in statute. Most (many?) states also have a mechanic's lien title process. but that requires a valid business license.

He's in Ky. What happened there was up until the 90s it was real easy to get a title there. In fact according to the paper, organized crime in the Northeast was using Ky to get titles on stolen cars. Probably in response to that article in the paper the legislature cracked down.

The notarized statement that PhatTony mentions, I guess you could get that and take it and a copy of the statute to the dmv and see what happens. They might say take the statement before a judge and come back with paper from him declaring it's your vehicle...

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience titling a no title bike in Oregon?

Not a bike, but my uncle did it with an old car. After going round and round with the DMV someone finally told him, kind of hush-hush, that all you have to do is trailer it to the State Patrol and have them run the numbers. If it comes up clean then they give you a piece of paper to take to the DMV to get a title.

Not a bike, but my uncle did it with an old car. After going round and round with the DMV someone finally told him, kind of hush-hush, that all you have to do is trailer it to the State Patrol and have them run the numbers. If it comes up clean then they give you a piece of paper to take to the DMV to get a title.
Thanks that's helpful. I've heard it can be a real pain in the ass in Oregon.

Can you give me anymore more info on the piece of paper the police gave you to title it. Did this form have a name?

In California I brought my untitled bike to the Highway Patrol office. He ran the numbers and inspected it just enough so it looked as if it could run. With his paper work I went to the DMV and received a title. No worries. This sure beats the money that I paid to ITS.

Back