1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a weird knocking...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Captainplanet, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Captainplanet

Captainplanet XS650 Enthusiast

Just got the bike to start after 7 months of fiddling... Soon after starting I realized there's a weird knocking. Any ideas what it may be? You can really hear it towards the end of the video.

Posted via Mobile

2. pamcopete

pamcopete Ride.Enjoy.Life is Simple

Doesn't sound like knocking. It's more of a chugging sound, like, one cylinder just stopped working or the timing is way off. Check for fuel in the crankcase as well as it could be excess fuel killing the engine.

3. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Almost sounds like a dry top-end. Or, rubbing/interference at the advance unit, or rotor...

4. Captainplanet

I'll give that a check. The timing is most definitely off we haven't set it yet, but that knock you can hear when your trying to kick it over with the ignition off.

Posted via Mobile

5. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Remove the plugs, so you can hand-operate the kickstart, with your ear close to the engine. A mechanic's stethoscope would be handy here...

6. chizler62

chizler62 XS650 Addict

You had the motor apart? Did you put molylube on the cam or oil in the rocker box area?

7. Captainplanet

No I didn't can i put molylube in without taking it apart?

Posted via Mobile

8. chizler62

chizler62 XS650 Addict

No, my initial thought was perhaps you rebuilt the motor. Leaving the rocker box dry and with the timing off you haven't been able to run it long enough to circulate the lubing system.

What was done,replaced or modified since it last ran ok?