Getting acquainted...

I would definitely get it running correctly first, and change the ownership to your name while stock (if that may be an issue in your jurisdition) so you know what you have before you start chopping. Nothing worse than seeing some hacked up pile of parts being sold for cents on the dollar because someone's unplanned modifications got out of hand.
I agree whole heartedly. Good advise, and I'm committed till the end!

I'd say get'er running, everything in order and ride it for what's left of the season. You never know what's lurking for issues only to rear its ugly head when you are dying to ride in the spring. When not on the road, plan out your parts and overall cost. If doing a proper long haul hard tail the $$$$ is gonna sneak up something fast depending on just how far you're going to go. And hey....if you are going to go for it....for god sakes go all the way to something fantastic and completed. The market is plenty loaded with coulda woulda shoulda projects
I like the way you think! Thank you for your thoughts. I'm definitely committed on this project. Great tip on planning costs. Thank you

Can you make a road trip? I'm on your way to TC Bros. Make an appointment with TC Bros, haul your bike this way. We can break it down in my garage, take the frame to TC Bros, 1/2 hour from my place. Back in my garage we can put the motor back in and the front end and rear wheel, you'll have a roller in 1-2 days.

Seriously, Scott
Scott I like your enthusiasm and your offer, although I have some hefty commitments around here. Regardless, I thank you. I bet it would be a good time!

So, I've got red boot laces.:poke:
and not only that but you've got exposed ankle bones to moving pavement ! not the best choice for bike riding I'ed say !
but..... to each their own !
it only takes one slide down the pavement to remind you of how much like sandpaper the black top really is
<GRIN> even if you do have Red laces ! HAHAHAHH!
Bob.....

Bob, Bob, Bob, my ankle bones are way down inside those boots and protected, below the halfway point of those boots. I know the difference between my ankles and my knees.

Scott

I thought red shoelaces meant that they're easier to find after a morning of shoveling the muck out of the dairy barn.

Sure could'a used some of those back when...

LOL well Glorified tenny runners are not boots ! do yourself a favor and get some real boots buddy !
HEHEHHEHEHE !
best boots I ever had were over the calf square toe slip ons that had a steel shank and waffle stomper soles they cost almost $300 bucks way back then from Red wing shoes and I wore the soles out twice and then put my own Tire tread soles on them and finally the leather gave out
best boots I ever had !
bent the steel shank once when I dumped my bike the foot peg dug in and stopped me with a jerk and bent my bloody boot !!!!
it took a chunk of stove wood and a sledge hammer to get it straight again ! HA !
I've been wanting to armor plate my boots with steel plates like the Knights of old ! ...I used to make armor for the SCA group I was involved with .... very interesting waring a 95lb suit of armor ! you are invincible ! till someone hits you with a big bat and rings your chimes !
ha !
Bob.......

KC120.........It is your bike to do as you please ....................Although there a few who love to get into the Hardail/original crap, do as you please.

There are those, (although they wouldn't consider a hard-tail), who respect and love a well made build, and will help you with any mechanical and carb problems.

This thread has degenerated into critic posts, negative posts and bordering on abuse........It is your thread and you have the options to ask those that aren't contributing, to stop, or hit the report button and ask a mod to help get things back on track............

As a newbie, the rules do ask us to be considerate to new members, and like wise new members to respect older members......It is a 2 way street. ......Again.....This thread has descended/:hijack:ed, into negatives about why one would want a Hard-tail and cryptic posts that has dragged, (someone who wants to help), into an argument to defend his footwear and now his sexuality. Posting weird, cryptic posts, looking for a reaction and now making it about someone sexuality, (discrimination/abuse) is abuse..........that is not only a :hijack: but, as in a recent court case also a criminal offense...... slander.

Last edited:
View attachment 105360
You could do it either way , of course ! but which is better ? chances are if your going to have a bike that runs good you will have to buy parts to make that happen anyway.... but things like the air filters you may not want on your chopper so put those parts off till after the hard tail
exhaust is the same , use the stock for now later you may want to change that,
..... it's your project and if just getting it running good is going to turn you off and reduce the joy of having the project in the first place then just dive in, as the enthusiasm is worth it's weight in gold and you need to cultivate it on a long project !!!!!
each person is different many people get disgusted at how long it takes and give up.... adding a hard tail is a big part, and expensive to boot
Personally I would leave the swing arm and perhaps make a custom seat and change the frame so the seat sits lower....
simply because at my age I want a soft ride .... and a fat tire just won't cut it.
I like their looks though but I want work ability above all else ! because I love to ride !
getting your bike going good first will let you discover what it is you want in a bike too.... if you discover as I did that there is nothing better than leaning into a corner so hard the foot pegs fold up then I doubt you'll want a hard tail at all
although they can handle most of the time they are built to be pirty not functional... and to me.... that is a waste !
you can't get to know your bike and put some miles under your belt if you don't know weather it runs really good or not....
if all you want is to go bar hopping on it and to look cool that's another story completely..... to each their own
Bob.......
KC120.........It is your bike to do as you please ....................Although there a few who love to get into the Hardail/original crap, do as you please.

There are those, (although they wouldn't consider a hard-tail), who respect and love a well made build, and will help you with any mechanical and carb problems.

This thread has degenerated into critic posts, negative posts and bordering on abuse........It is your thread and you have the options to ask those that aren't contributing, to stop, or hit the report button and ask a mod to help get things back on track............

As a newbie, the rules do ask us to be considerate to new members, and like wise new members to respect older members......It is a 2 way street. ......Again.....This thread has descended/:hijack:ed, into negatives about why one would want a Hard-tail and cryptic posts that has dragged, (someone who wants to help), into an argument to defend his footwear and now his sexuality. Posting weird, cryptic posts, looking for a reaction and now making it about someone sexuality, (discrimination/abuse) is abuse..........that is not only a :hijack: but, as in a recent court case also a criminal offense...... slander.
yes it has gotten a little off track. Happy to be here. For those of you interested in knowing TC Bros. No longer does any frame work (for the hardtail kit) but they did recommend a shop.

KC120.........A dedicated build thread helps the helpers keep up with problems and solutions. ...........Also helps us remember what you have and anything relevant to your models ect......Enjoy your build.........

Ask questions before buying aftermarket parts.......there are often better solutions and/or better products than some popular trends or marketers......

I heard a lot about this site while doing research on my bike even before I bought it. Some great tips, and occasionally a little gap filled with hooligans. LOL. But ya, thanks for the blessings on my build. I intend to stay motivated and determined to follow through and build a nice bike. its been in the works for a long time. Living the dream....

Back