Getting acquainted...

Next, rear brakes and master cylinder, gas tank. I think I’m going to order an engine stand before removal. Does anyone know if the starter has to be removed to be installed on the stand?
C5C5F0CC-C4F4-413D-A0BB-AC6918619F21.jpeg

lol that IS the point ....your missing a few things bud !!!!! can't ride it like that ! LOL
Bob......

Oh okay, I’m a little slow today. Been having a nice weekend putting this thing together or should I say breaking it down. My inner gut has been suggesting that someone has been into the bike already. Mostly because of the Black Oven paint. It’s everywhere. What a nice platform though. Thanks Bob

so what's the plan here KC ? are you going to make it super fancy or remove everything not needed or what ?
looks like you got a good start anyway ! ..... it's naked ! HAHAHAH!
Bob........

Well my goal right now is to get her stripped down. I’m going to have the frame cut on a jig, and install a hard tail. Then after that I’m going to get it back to a rolling chassis. I don’t want to go through the motor just yet. It was running pretty good before tear down so I think that will be my first goal after the hard tail. Get it back in and running. As far as the engine of coarse. Any thoughts?

well, these old bones like suspension... so hard tail wouldn't be my first choice but to each their own !
I think if your going to do it,... do it up really good ! make it really fancy and a safe machine.... to ride.... something your proud as hell of !
I think I'ed do what your doing in this case if the motor is already running good as it is.... just keep that for later
but I would not remove the front brake, I don't care how ugly it is, i might spring for a smaller master cylinder but I want and need a front brake... so do you ! weather you know it or not ! LOL....
what color are you thinking ? and will you be moulding in the tank to the frame and all that stuff or keeping it parts replaceable type?
myself if I was going a hard tail I think I would go with a complete basic bike.... motor and engine and wheels hide everything else that you can
make it basic but make it a good looking machine not some barn find ! something that you'ed be proud to ride !
although my idea of a good looking bike is a functional one that has a good color ! LOL ! that's about it !
it's your machine make it how you want it !
Bob......

Bob I agree. I will definitely be keeping my front brakes. I’m going to be rebuilding my caliper and front forks. I like the idea of a smaller master cylinder. I’m thinking of powder coating the frame black. Yes, just black. I’m leaning towards a kind of antique white on the tank with either a black side panel or matching pinstripes. Matching solo seat with black stitching or some kind of logo, not sure yet. Then, a matching rear fender again with black pinstripe. I’m going to be ditching the stock wire harness and going with a Motogadget M-unit, with two position momentary switches on both sides. Also, I would like to wrap the pipes but not sure what color yet due to being unfamiliar with any product line. And of coarse all LED Lighting and signals. Almost forgot, and of coarse a fake oil can in the same white and pinstripes for all the electrical or at least most of it.

sounds like your going the whole 9 yards ! LOL
I wann'a see pictures of it !!!!
one thing that many guys do and Regret later is pull the charging system and put in a PMA ( permanent magnet alternator)
I would caution against that........ and also when going all LED's that can create a problem with both types of charging systems
so read up on it at this site..... there is a bunch of info on it here it had something to do with drawing so little amperage that the system over heated because it had to dump all the electricity it was making straight to ground, and that is senseless...
but if your thinking about a PMA do your home work first before you buy ! LOL ( and they are anything but cheap !)
.... just some heads up for you there !
also you may want to change the stock sprockets so you can cruse faster than 55mph ! without revving the engine so high...
i found my stock 83HS woefully slow for cruising speeds I ride at 70mph but this 83 xs650 doesn't like that speed with the gearing the way it is
it's just taching too high for my likes ! ....
sense your going with a hard tail you don't have to worry about the swing arm pivot bolt, but you also might consider the steering head bearings , they have better tapered roller bearings for the steering head pivot now which makes handling allot better I'm told !
there is a way to eliminate the battery completely if your so inclined which to me is really a great idea....no more dead battery problems !!!
so that might be an option that is up your alley ! ....
there is lots more things you can do that I can't remember at the moment , maybe someone else will jump in and give you some more ideas !
Later KC ! keep after it ! on a big project do something each day on it and it will be done in no time !
Bob.........

Bob some great ideas and input. Thank you very much, I appreciate that. I basically have a general idea on where I want it to go, but of course it is an evolution right? I definitely would like to stay with the charging system I have right now. I have Looked at some PMA videos and threads, but for now, no. I am aware of changing the sprocket if you happen to replace the chain. Apparently they wear out together. Bigger sprocket verses higher RPM’s? I’ll take the bigger sprocket for sure. Awesome idea. Also, I was thinking pearl white verses antique white......
KC

and Btw.... you want a smaller sprocket on the back and a bigger sprocket on the front to cruse faster..... but you knew that right ? LOL
I think there is a clearance issue with a bigger sprocket on the front too so you might check into that.....
f.w.i.w..... Bob......

KC120.........A dedicated build thread helps the helpers keep up with problems and solutions. ...........Also helps us remember what you have and anything relevant to your models ect......Enjoy your build.........

650 Skull....Thank you

Back