Getting acquainted...

87E4F31A-68EB-45F1-AC32-AB37779F1109.jpeg
Ok, what is this? It’s directly below the rear master cylinder, and is connected on the bottom via a small paper clip looking wire to the rear brake lever. Brake light switch?

I keep meaning to build a bike table like that, and I have a ton of scrap 2x. Probably saves your back quite a bit. Wish I had the patience to do a build thread, but I get out in the Garage way too little as is. Enjoying watching yours and everyone elses.

I keep meaning to build a bike table like that, and I have a ton of scrap 2x. Probably saves your back quite a bit. Wish I had the patience to do a build thread, but I get out in the Garage way too little as is. Enjoying watching yours and everyone elses.

Hey thanks C77S. Definitely worth the time spent on the table, and money. About $80. My project actually started with research back around Christmas 2016, just before I bought the bike. Sat for a year. Then I built the table back in Nov 2017, and finally got it up on the table in the last month or so. It takes time, the pleasure is in the journey. Enjoy.

In an earlier pic your bike has tapered wire mesh air filter pods. Those could be the running issues you mentioned. CV carbs don't really like those type pods. They larger straight sides ones are better but not much. They cause excessive air flow turbulence through the carb. This causes poor vacuum signal to lift the slides. This can cause the slides to lift late an create an off idle flat spot that can be problematic to tune out.
A lot of us run a long straight foam filter pod, Uni- Filter is a good one with many options.
So far so good on your project. I like your bike bench. As other mentioned a bit over built but very nice.
A steel top? strong, easy to clean, I might use some anti slip paint to provide a bit more grip. Might even put a shallow lip around the edge so things that like to roll around won't roll off. Like that 10 mm socket, it well never roll off on your side at your feet. Always on the far side under something heavy.
Leo

Another thing. When cutting the frame for the hard tail, follow the instructions exactly. measure several time before cutting. When welding it back on the best frame jig you have is the engine. With it bolted in and tight the frame can't shift around.
It has happened on here before were some one welded on a hard tail without the engine in place then couldn't put the engine in. The frame shifted enough so bolt holes no longer line up.
Don't cut any more tabs off the stock frame than needed to add the hard tail. Some have cleaned all the tabs of the frame, then found they needed a lot of them. I might suggest only cutting off ones that get in your may until you decide if they are needed.
Leo

In an earlier pic your bike has tapered wire mesh air filter pods. Those could be the running issues you mentioned. CV carbs don't really like those type pods. They larger straight sides ones are better but not much.

XSLeo some good information right there, thank you. To be honest all I know about carbs on my bike is that they are Mikuni’s, and the P.O. had mentioned he upgraded the jets (described as bigger). I’m sure at some point I’m going to have to familiarize myself with what’s going on down there. For example I just learned they are vacuum fed..who knew?

Oh yeah, the kick stand mounting, that little loop for the clutch cable, foot peg and exhaust mounts, etc., cut them off and you might/will be sorry.

Scott

Oh yeah, the kick stand mounting, that little loop for the clutch cable, foot peg and exhaust mounts, etc., cut them off and you might/will be sorry.

Scott the mid foot peg mounts I had are(1) above the exhaust pipes, (2) attached to the frame aft of the removal. I’m planning on going to fwd controls..I will be saving the clutch cable loops for starters.

Those attachments on the frame work very well for mid controls. Forward controls, :(, :umm:, you sure?

The area pictured below is where the original pegs were. Also on this area is where the exhaust mounts are. With the hard tail this whole section is going to be gone. So I was thinking fwd controls? I’m surely gonna have to come up with a place to mount the exhaust and rear break lever yes?
2C97335B-BA8B-4C54-932E-ED7E0BA48DC6.jpeg

. I like your bike bench. As other mentioned a bit over built but very nice.
A steel top? strong, easy to clean, I might use some anti slip paint to provide a bit more grip.

XSLeo ya it is a little over the top. I didn’t want to find out it wasn’t gonna work When I put the bike on it. Plus I would like it to last. The top is actually counter top laminate. I’ve spilled brake fluid, fork oil, etc. on it just windex it off. Nice and clean. But ya, loading and unloading...a little help from my friends goes a long way. And, thank you by the way.

What you're about to do makes me do that, lol. And on top of that, paying $40 or $50 for 2 pieces of pipe to mount a brake pedal makes me do that. If you're fabbing up a custom bike, fab ..... it ...... up ..... yourself. Crazy concept, I know, but so is ruining a perfectly good motorcycle by cutting the ass-end off. I really wish you would have picked a Honda for this. They've made millions of them and nobody will miss a few.

Back