getting my bike running??

aaroffee

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey just got my boyer kit setup how it tells you on the instructions, F mark on TDC and the white dot up the top, but i can't get it running fires and runs for 2 secs then stalls out if i have chokes on backfires out the carbs i have vm34's also, bike was running a few weeks ago with a morris magneto.

any help should i just keep playing around moving the plate adv and retarding the timing?

yeww

Hi,

Make sure you have the left (sitting on the bike) piston on its compression stroke at TDC. The align the white dot on the magnet plate with the corresponding aperture on the sensor plate by rotating the rod through the cam. Once nut, nip the nut up on the right hand side.

12476135_10205477881762191_404123633_n.jpg

12463932_10205477883122225_1180493891_n.jpg

Spot on - thanks for the pics :)
Ok - I can see that you are a tad advanced. If you look closely, you'll see an "F" in between those two lines. This is the firing position. To the right of that mark, you'll see a "T" and just to the right of the "T" you will see another line - That is TDC. So, you just need to edge the crank round a smidgen and re-adjust the rod / plate to how you have it in the pic. Make sure that the left pot is at TDC on it's compression stoke, not the exhaust stroke. You can tell which stroke it's on by looking at what the valves are doing. Or, put your finger over the spark plug hole - when you feel pressure pushing your finger off you'll know that's it's compression stroke and line up the rotor marks on that cycle.

That's right. The static timing marks are enough to get it running. however, it's always best practice to time it properly with a good strobe timing light

Yeah need to get it running for more then 3secs so I can get a strobe on it!
Thanks for the info I'll Suss it out now and let you know how I go!

Great !
Yep, you see in your pic, to the right of the letter "T" there is a cast vertical line, just above the stamped "4". That's your TDC mark. So at the minute you're probably about 13 degrees advanced

Oh okay, I thought I was suppose to line it up within the "F" marks for some reason, but yeah I'll move it over to the notch to the right of the T and see if it fires! Thanks again!

Sorry, I'm talking out of my arse again! You're retarded, not you but the timing lol :)
Don't set it to the "T" mark, you need to set it to the full advance mark, which in your pic is the far left cast line. Directly above the notch in the case if you will. Sorry, it's been a long week ;)

Back