Getting New tires on my '81 Special. Recommendations? Tips?

bret

'81 Special
Reaction score
It's time to order some new tires for my '81 Special. Currently I have Dunlop D404's for the front and rear. I haven't had issues with handling or quality but I'd like to possibly try something new. Any recommendations? I have about 300 dollars to spend between the tires and installation. :bike:

I shop for tires on Ebay. Put the brand model And size in the search, then sort by price with shipping and handling, lowest first. Click the hew button, tobe sure you get new tires, no used.
They list then cheaper than your link does.
All of the tires I have gotten from Ebay where less than two years old most less than a year old.
Newer than you can get at most local shops.
Leo

Thank you all for your input. I did some research and have decided to go with the Michelin Commander II tires. It appears they will last longer than any other brand. Guess we'll see!

I have 14K miles on a pair of original Michelin Commanders on my Road Star. They have been excellent tires.
I was going to suggest the Bridgestone S-11 Spitfire or the Pirelli MT-66 as good options. If you think it will take you several seasons to put 10K or more on the bike I don't know if I'd go with the Michelins, just because of having to protect them from the environment for several seasons. If you think 3 years, then OK, but 4, potentially 5, I'd probably go with one of the other two. It would be a shame to have a tire as good as the Michelin age away on you before you wear it out. Just a thought. I don't plan on putting a high durability tire set on mine because I'm sure it will get around 3500-4000 miles a year, and not much more. Our crazy summer heat ages tires pretty hard, so if you are not going to wear the money out of them in about 3 seasons, it's better economy to go with perhaps a lessor tire. You get fresh tires more often, and you don't have to have one of those days when you realize you have half your tread left and the tire is hard as a bowling ball and wouldn't stick to a bucket of pine sap, much less a damp surface. Happy hunting, and let us know which you go with.
BTW, There used to be a site up out of Florida that had the weight of every decent tire in every size, and the Michelin Commander and Pirelli MT-66 are the lightest weight line of tires out there in bias ply that carry all of our potential sizes. I took it for granted that the site would always be there, but it's gone now.

^What's the name of the site? Probably view the site still using the Wayback :)

So my tires have arrived. The sidewalls say 130/90/B16 and 100/90/B19... The sizes are right but I believe the letter is supposed to be an H. Did I order the wrong tires or will these work?

So my tires have arrived. The sidewalls say 130/90/B16 and 100/90/B19... The sizes are right but I believe the letter is supposed to be an H. Did I order the wrong tires or will these work?

I hope that the B is for "bias". A "B" speed rating is 31 mph. I expect your bike will go faster than that.

They are fine. Enjoy them! "B" means belted bias. It's a more stable carcass than the standard bias ply carcass construction. You WILL feel the difference in the way they ride.

Give them about 150-200 miles to break in before you go nutz with them. I usually go hit the parking lot for some full lock turns both ways and some figure 8's, then a 50-75 mile run for some grub, then 75 miles or so back, and you should be in pretty good shape if it's on a 100+ degree surface (think 85 degree day) and typical 2-lane speeds (averaging around 50 MPH) If cooler, give it longer. The Commanders have been the best tire I've ran so far on my Road Star. I have 14K miles on the current set, and they are about done, but prior to that I was only getting 10K out of a set of tires. It's an 800 pound bike and I got 250, and I ride it at 70-80 MPH a lot, all in Texas heat, so I don't know what I SHOULD expect, but I'm very happy with the Commanders for the money/performance ratio.

Back