1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Gggary's carburetor mod

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mailman, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Very nicely done! The funs contageous!
    Just happened to have a drawer full of vintage aircraft instrument knobs? I'm guessing you have a very interesting garage. Haha

2. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Thanx, Pete. Well, c'mon down here. Bring a shovel.

Hey, Mailman. Yeah, depending on who's visiting, it runs from interesting, hoarding, trashpile, junk, museum, hardware-store. Dear ol' dad did a lot of work with science instrumentation. He'd go to the demilitarization junkyards and salvage out all nature of mil-spec parts. He took me with him a couple of times back in the '50s. I was just a kid, but my job was to remove/collect various screws, bolts, nuts, ...etc. Then later, identify the thread types and sort them into bins. Good training for an 8 year old, I guess.

He had this thing for knobs. Couldn't get enuff of them. This represents about half of the collection.
    Knobs01.jpg Knobs02.jpg

This is the kinda thing he'd salvage out. I think it's from a B-36.
    Knobs03.jpg

So, now I'm curator of this stuff...

geedubya likes this.
  3. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Wow. I got the film Strategic Air Command on DVD for Christmas - great scenes of B36 and B47 flying.

peanut likes this.
  4. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Dang I think we have a winner! Wonder if some radio shack type place has similar "panel knobs" without having to scrap a WW2 fighter?
    Go Jimmy Stewart!

geedubya likes this.
  5. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

....and June Allyson!

gggGary likes this.
  6. the-oz-slider

the-oz-slider XS650 Addict

yup, that's them......and they were free even.....well if you don't include the $100 I paid for the set of carbs they were attached to......

gggGary, MaxPete and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  7. shotgunjoe

shotgunjoe XS650 Hunter

gggGary likes this.
  8. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict

36214B79-E6A3-46D6-A0FB-34476136BE4C.jpeg 9BCDD50F-E92C-45DD-A2EE-2EE774F912FD.jpeg A56CDE75-69E3-4A61-9AAC-99A52B08F23A.jpeg It would seem that when faced with a common problem we arrive at a common solution.
    I copied the knurled wheel of the TX750 and put it on the XS.
    The TX throttle cables were in poor condition so I made some more from cycle brake cables, also added a throttle stop/cruise control so I could add a fast idle until it warmed up.

9. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Yes! the main use of my "cruise control" is as a fast idle.

Mailman likes this.