gggGary's latest XS project "madness"

Are those "off the shelf" elbows? Stainless? Made to fit 1.5" O.D. headpipes and ? I.D. mufflers? A very slight angle elbow like that is just the ticket to angle the mufflers up enough to clear the axle. It sucks having to pull a muffler any time you want to remove the axle.

All I can think

Are those "off the shelf" elbows? Stainless? Made to fit 1.5" O.D. headpipes and ? I.D. mufflers? A very slight angle elbow like that is just the ticket to angle the mufflers up enough to clear the axle. It sucks having to pull a muffler any time you want to remove the axle.
Unfortunately no they were special order from Columbia River Mandrel Bending 1 3/4" 18 degree with one end expanded to fit over 1 3/4 head pipes. This is a bit of run what I got to test some things out. There's a reducer sleeve in the expanded end to fit these 1 1/2" OD headers.

1.75" 304 Stainless, 3.00" Radius, 16G, 18 Degree Mandrel Bend
Item# SS304-16-175-300-018 $15.53 USD 2 $31.06 USD
Expansion Service - Cost per Expansion
Item# SERV-EXP $2.50 USD 2 $5.00 USD
Subtotal $36.06 USD
Shipping and handling $18.23 USD
Total $54.29 USD

The only thing I'm Consistant about is change.

GggGary-Borlas.jpg

Whatd think?

All together now.

"Gimme my Borlas back, Borlas back, Borlas back"...

Fired it up and ran it around the country block, sounds great, bottom is super strong, still not quite perfect above 4500, 180 mains. the grizzly bear mentioned trying a crimped ring on the muffler exits.... I really need to stick a factory (or an electronic) tach on it, I don't quite trust that set of gauges....
LkC1szJb4IInCuFvcCXbNpd0N-7jztz2FjPcDYZGwmDcev6qLQ.jpg

Change is constant???
20180806_164116.jpg
Borlas off, went commando again. They were too loud. Put in adjustable fork caps raising front end a bit. We'll see if that helps that high speed weave. Though there wasn't any at 85 yesterday. Maybe loaded for traveling made a differerence.

Goin' with the commando's might be one of the (few) concessions I'll make on the SG resto.....
They look good Gary!!

Maybe loaded for traveling made a differerence.

Loading the bike certainly makes a big difference on the big Honda ST1300 sport-tourer.

The bike is normally a very stable, but sharp handling highway burner but if you put too much weight up high in a top box, the bike can adopt an extremely dangerous high speed wobble (some years ago, a British police officer was killled as a result of this issue - look up “Pan weave” on Google) but you need to dial the speed up to around 120 MPH or more.

Hmmm, not a major concern on the XS650, I guess - unless you happen to have ridden it off a cliff. ;)

Anyhow, I certainly agree on those Commando mufflers - they look great!

Yup, visually I like the commandos much better. Talking about weave, I recently sold my Suzuki DL650 V Strom,
It was my commuter bike , anyways, I put this big honkin tail trunk on there to haul all my gear back and forth to work. And it really messed with the high speed stability of that bike, it was fine at commuter speeds, but got squirrelly if you gunned it.

Crimped ring?! I never recommended no steenkin crimped ring, you're hallucinating again, Gary.

What a disappointment--I was looking forward to hearing those Borlas roar at Mountain View, and you went and hung those Brit-style muffs. For cryin' out loud, Gary, use ear plugs and put the good stuff back on!

Back