gggGary's latest XS project "madness"

I once went to an Open House on a Sunday in San Jose,Cal ,Not a cheap neighborhood.
The neighbor across the street was tuning his open headered dirt track car!!!!
I figured there must have been some Bad Blood going on there!!!!

JD with your encouragement I got out the BFH and smashed away. Worked out great.
did the first side with the peen and a socket then used the flat hammer face on the second one, that actually worked better.

Got em on and ran it....... sounds like someone stuck a potato in both pipes, too damned quiet! Here comes the drill.....

JD with your encouragement I got out the BFH and smashed away. Worked out great.
did the first side with the peen and a socket then used the flat hammer face on the second one, that actually worked better.

Got em on and ran it....... sounds like someone stuck a potato in both pipes, too damned quiet! Here comes the drill.....

Cussed 'em exhaust! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Glad the wailing went well for ya. It's all dependent on wall thickness, and obviously you got a feel for what it was doing on the first one if you changed up methods on the second. Happens when beating bird dents out of airplanes too. :thumbsup:

Yeah they are made of thick stock I was surprised how thick, and how quiet, rivals or quieter than stock pipes.
I wailed on it and I think it almost had a hernia trying to blow out through them things, quiet, still quiet, then at about 5K it sounded like a two stroke getting on the pipe. RRRiiippp.

They look decent enough.

madness 025.jpg

Frikk'n loud pipes back on, smaller cotter pin fitted.
Commando's are in the cart, but haven't hit the paypal button yet.
Carb sorting slowly continues. (very slowly) not the effort, just the progress.

Gary,

Just put Mike's Commando System on my 78SE. Sorry I waited so long! Sounds so much better than the modded stock muffs and seems to be running better as well. Surprised that after about 200 miles the new headpipes haven't really blued much at all.

roy

Yep, got the Commando muffs on my '83 and love the sound too, so much better than the punched out center stock mufflers....... and runs great.
I will say that the Dunstall system on my '77 ain't bad either but if the need arises for a full replacement, I believe the Commando system will be the ticket, after all it was the Brit twins that led me down to the xs 650 road........

Loud pipes back on and the 200 main jets.

It's still a bit loud, but running well perhaps the commandos yet, I do like them on stockers.

Did a compression test near cold tonight 180 both sides with the e start, then for grins did it again by leg, got both sides to 200! The leg wins!

Back