gggGary's latest XS project "madness"

"RE pumpers, make me an offer"

Fishing's fun!
giphy.webp

I'm VERY tempted to try the Borlas with this AF meter...
PM sent.

Man getting a "Shed" bike ready for a 100 mile ride can be a challenge but (fingers crossed) Madness is ready for the spring slimey crud run.
Since I started back in on it in late march;
Completely custom rear wheel, sprocket to rotor.
Completely different front wheel, rotors, fender
completely different rear fender, TS's tail light.
different mufflers/mounts.
Ignition sorted, redone.
wiring sorting, changes.
Many carb changes.:cussing:
different gas tank, petcock, several HAH! fuel routing changes.
Different seat, mounts, latch.
Different mirrors grips.
Side covers recountured to make clearance for the air filters painted rattle canned.
Redone oil line routing, side filter cover, chasing (curing??) leaks.
As built by Rod Machado back in the 80's
View attachment 117987
When I bought it.
View attachment 117988
early spring.
View attachment 117989
Today.
1525609805546-1812264233-jpg.117986

It ain't done yet..........
Glad you removed that fugly rear fender thingy...

Just caught up..i read fast..LOL Wow very impressive Gary..i didnt go polish anything but my head is swimming from all the different aspects of this build...So will Madness have the Borlas at the VYR? Or will you change it again?..yeah i know change is constant....

swapped back to the old Mike's or WHOever muffs
View attachment 142778
These headers don't have lower tabs but with the long mufflers I was able to hose clamp them tight to the factory header brackets, should be good.
View attachment 142777
got the O2's in
View attachment 142776
and the system fired up and worked, :smoke: Pretty much need the tank bag at this point, there are many "extra" feet of cable. I need to run a calibration yet and then I can set to doing some adjustments. As it is adjusting an idle mix screw made an instant difference on the AF reading. As I was suspecting, the needles are pretty good (on top clip) ie lean as I can go on them, and the mains are stinking rich. Plenty to do, :whistle:
I'm going to be brutally blunt and honest. It's the only way I can be about this. This. Is . Fu$!ing NICE! I've been wanting to purchase an AFR gauge setup. After seeing this, sold. Thanks dude!

Gary have you done any dyno testing? What kind of HP and torque are you pulling? Inquiring minds want to know
ear.gif
No doubt in my mind this is one extreme resto-mod! Well done sir...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Last edited:
Pant Seat dyno only. Honestly I'm pretty sure my "fiddling with it" (Stop that!) has dropped the peak numbers while improving the low end where the great majority of riding is done.
The Borla conundrum
Like the sound
Don't like loud in town. (hate being THAT guy)
A long day's ride seems even longer with a too loud exhaust.

Pant Seat dyno only. Honestly I'm pretty sure my "fiddling with it" (Stop that!) has dropped the peak numbers while improving the low end where the great majority of riding is done.
The Borla conundrum
Like the sound
Don't like loud in town. (hate being THAT guy)
A long day's ride seems even longer with a too loud exhaust.
I'm sure that would be tedious... all day long...I would prolly like it with my lack of hearing...but then from the POV of PC and not being that obnoxious a***h*** I prolly would feel the same. One time 10 yrs ago i was at XSeast with the XS11.com group..Memorial day rally every year...That year was VT. as it changes venues yearly..but my '82 XJ1100 maxim had been worked on a week prior to the rally ..so when i got it back things(unbeknownst to me)there were alot of loose bolts..We were riding though this quaint New England town when my muffler fell off..it was a4 to 1 Jardine and being deaf..riding without hearing aids..I could still hear it..and i knew something wasnt right....The sounds were so loud i could feel them reverberating of all the buildings i was driving by...So it was like OMG thats overkill...Made for a great laugh later on...and made the rally memorable..

See mailman not just talking the gospel.
What's he up to now???

Gary, do me favor and post another photo when you’re done?
If I were to do it again ( epoxy ) I would do it in cooler weather in hopes that it would level better. It dried too fast on me and didn’t smooth out.
Second mistake, I didn’t prep the surface well enough. I just wiped it off with a paper towel and applied the epoxy and I got fisheyes in it.

Back