gggGary's O-rings

XSLeo

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I got some of those o-rings gggGary ordered. I put a set on the 81. The install went wellexcept for a po mod. On the right side valve cover the lower outside stud was replaced by a bolt. The bolt was fine with the worn out sillyconed o-ring it had in there but with the new o-ring a bit thicker it was to short.
Replaced the bolt with a stud I made from a too long Allen head bolt cut to length. Once threaed in snug with double nuts. I replaced the cover and took the bike for a bit over 100 mile ride. No leaks.
With the new o-rings a bit big they should reseal after valve adjustment better. And with proper torque on the nuts the cover doesn't quite touch the head. This was mentioned before but I just want to say that if you use this o-ring don't over tighten the nuts tring to get the cover to touch the head. You may strip a stud.
Very impressed so far. I'll get the bike out more and R&R the covers a few times to see if the o-ring holds up.
Leo

Thanks Leo! I think I 'm nearly ready to post an O-rings for sale thread in the shops section.
4 nice fat silicone valve cover o-rings to your USA mailbox for $10.00

Leo; the slits in paper is the mark II shipping method. LOL

Thread launched in shops. Step right up here folks, get in while the getting's good.

:laugh:

So with these new o rings the valve covers won't be flush with the head? Will they sit flusher over time?

You won't notice the gap, the pics make it look bigger. Yes because they are silicone (as I believe the factory o-rings are) the o-rings will tend to flow to the square corners of the groove. I think after a while most covers can be tightened to touch the head, but DO NOT overtighten nuts to achieve this.

Back