giddy! 71 within my grasp

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
Photo100215011-vi.jpg

So...a few years ago, Imy friend had a 71 in a shed, his father bought it new, and one day, my friend, greg was racing, and overheated the engine, still ran with a strange engine noise, after rebuild, still strange noise, stuck it in said shed. that was the early 1990's. fast forward to 2007, we drag it out, and I got it running again, and ohhh'd and awwww'd over it. Still has strange noise. after I got it running again, greg raced the piss out of it up and down my road, still ran strong. He takes it home, back in the shed.
He lived with his mother who just died, and his brother in law has power of attorney and wants the house, kicking greg out in 1 month.
He knew I wanted that bike, and promised me I would be first candidate.
So today he calls me and tells me the sad news of his mothers passing. 92 years old.
So, the long and short of it is he knows it worth more, and I know its worth more, but since I can only come up with $3,ooo, he will take 3k for the 71, and a 1980 project chop.
I will never cut it, just enjoy the time machine.
It is near perfect for its age, I had to rewire the turn signals so they worked for greg, and since I couldn't get the damn points right, and practically brakeing my leg from trying to start it, pamco pete donated a basic pamco, I put it in, and fired right up. Thanks pete! its almost mine. Im supposed to pick it up tomorrow, and give him moneys in a few days . Wish me luck!!:thumbsup:

Great score. Enjoy it. Might be a good to do a cases apart tear down and see what that noise is. Fun to see all the differences.

Posted via Mobile

That's a beauty!!

Being a neighbor you know I'm envious, but then again...I think I'm at my quota (at least for now! Lol)

Congratulations...and let me know if you need help with anything, I'm just down the road from you in Olympia.

Nice find. Maybe I will look you guys up in May when we are in Couer d' Alene, ID. I have my Victory there and I would be up for a ride.

fantastic ! what a gorgeous bike.
A keeper for sure .
Pity you had to aquire it under those circumstances but its going to a far better home :thumbsup::D

Great score. Enjoy it. Might be a good to do a cases apart tear down and see what that noise is. Fun to see all the differences.

Posted via Mobile
When we listened for the noise, it was hard to pin point, moved around the front of the engine a lot. which leads me to believe its a connecting rod. Was this the year yama use a roller setup in the little ends?
I'm hoping I can send a set of rods for the 256 without the rollers and the crank to Hugh, and have them replaced, and weld the pins in the crank. and of course other things will be checked, timing chain, chain blade, etc
I'm jumping the gun abit, but must have contingency plan:D

When we listened for the noise, it was hard to pin point, moved around the front of the engine a lot. which leads me to believe its a connecting rod. Was this the year yama use a roller setup in the little ends?
I'm hoping I can send a set of rods for the 256 without the rollers and the crank to Hugh, and have them replaced, and weld the pins in the crank. and of course other things will be checked, timing chain, chain blade, etc
I'm jumping the gun abit, but must have contingency plan:D

That was only the early 70 models that had a needle bearing. Yours should be 22mm conventional wrist pin. Be nice to keep it 256. Just don't beat on it.

Posted via Mobile

That was only the early 70 models that had a needle bearing. Yours should be 22mm conventional wrist pin. Be nice to keep it 256. Just don't beat on it.

Posted via Mobile
thanks, cdntx650. that helps.
cra-z1, I will deff. pm you when I crack it open. might as well clean up the cylinders while im in there, too.
So I went to go get it today, there was a 7 mile backup on the freeway thru oly, Vincent, you prolly saw it. I tried to go back roads, but everyone had the same idea. took me 3 hours to do a 1 1/2 drive. Then , on the way back, there was a back up thru the mili base(jblm), so we turn around, and go across the narrows bridge, and some moron lost a new matress in the middle of hwy 16!! Then the bike fell over in my van, looks like no damage.
I get home finally, unload her, and the project chop, look it over, and its covered in sawdust. Grab the brush and start washing.
I had forgot he had just put on new tires and tubes. So, score there, but I will need a front brake cable, and get the key from po.
So I got this bike, a basket case 1980, and if I help him get his other 1980 back on the road, he will give me a early 80's Honda 250. Not a bad score for 3k, huh?
It is soooo pretty cleaned up.
As for the mystery motor noise, Im not yanking that motor until the title is in my hands.
Im gonna drive him to the dmv to file for a lost title next weekend. im paying for that too.
I drained about 2 gallons of 4 year old gas from the tank, I took out the float bowl plugs, and no gas came out, so im hoping it was run dry. I cant remember. But the petcocks did hold back 2 gallons for 4 years. I guesse my rebuild of them worked. Then I remembered I had put new clutch cable, and throttle cables on it too back then, also rebuilt the carbs then, too.:bike:

btw, it only has 3600 miles on it. and judging by its looks, could be real mileage. it sat for 20 years in a shed.

So basically, because you've been working to remove the bike from it's comfy storage place....it's all your fault that we've had the last two days of 100% rain this weekend??!! :laugh:

Seriously, what's with this rain? It's like the PNW or something...ha ha.

But congrats on the bike, that's awesome! (More pics)

yikes! So I had some time on my hands, and figured i'de check the valves on it, so I roll the motor over for the left side, both good there, roll it over for the right side, check the intake, is fine, then check the exhaust......
IMG_0946_zpsb915be93.jpg

soooo glad I checked. They were ready to fall down the oil drain back, and luckily, the lock nut stopped the screw from going down. It was stuck between the valve spring and the wall. My wife picked it out with some sorta sculpting tool, and a magnet. I held my breath when she with drew the magnet out with the screw, and the locknut dangling.
Im actually kinda glad I drained the oil last night, and no gas around, or else I would have started it without checking.
So off to mikes I go for a set screw and lock nut, front brake cable, and a couple air filters., and ign. switch.

Last edited:
Back