gloves .... I need some suggestions

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have been looking for the perfect pair of gloves for several years now and although I have a drawer full of gloves now, there isn't one pair that I like that fit comfortably and are not too heavy thick and restrictive .

I know this is going to stir up a hornets nest but what I am looking for is some soft supple leather gloves with no protection. There I've said it :popcorn:

My ideal glove will have long fingers and an extra large sizing to get my hands into (11" around the widest part of my palms)

i really like the look of deerskin driving gloves but would prefer some cover of the wrists ideally. All the gloves I look at are all either too small or have fingers that are not long enough making it difficult to flex fingers and pull levers etc
Has anyone got any gloves that they could recommend ? :)
something like this
gloves.jpg

Last edited:
I use mostly deer skin, and usually deer skin work gloves as opposed to motorcycle specific gloves. They're lots cheaper than the motorcycle ones and have served me well for many years.

I use mostly deer skin, and usually deer skin work gloves as opposed to motorcycle specific gloves. They're lots cheaper than the motorcycle ones and have served me well for many years.

thanks 5T.. I see these gloves a lot on some US TV shows like Gold Rush etc and I really like the look of them but we don't seem to have any over here in the UK.
I'd appreciate a link if you can find one so I have an idea what I'm searching for.

Kangaroo skin gloves. Thinner than leather and more abrasion resistant. I've got a pair with kangaroo palms and love them.

Edit* here is a place that makes them in all sizes, not just s/m/l http://www.roohide.net/products/245-geier-kangaroo-leather-gloves.aspx

now thats exactly what I'm looking for ! kangeroo skin eh never thought of that and I never thought to search for 'roper' gloves either thanks for the linky ratranger. I'll have to see what the shipping is to the UK these could end up costing more than my jacket ....:D:D

Search around, being in the UK you might be able to get aussie products cheaper. I just searched on Google for kangaroo gloves.

Equine gloves. The palms are thin leather to feel the reins, and the backs and fingers are insulated. I hate thick gloves. I had a 2003 Suzuki with one inch bars and always had cramps in my hand. After I found rein gloves, problem solved.

I like to wear a lightweight motorcycle specific glove. This one has knuckle and finger reinforcements.

Attachments

• TLD0006-2.jpg
    TLD0006-2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 196
I like to wear a lightweight motorcycle specific glove. This one has knuckle and finger reinforcements.
mmm very interesting but that is exactly what I am not looking for lol ;):) see first post

I have been looking for the perfect pair of gloves for several years now and although I have a drawer full of gloves now, there isn't one pair that I like that fit comfortably and are not too heavy thick and restrictive .I know this is going to stir up a hornets nest but
what I am looking for is some soft supple leather gloves with no protection. There I've said it :popcorn:

My ideal glove will have long fingers and an extra large sizing to get my hands into (11" around the widest part of my palms)

i really like the look of deerskin driving gloves but would prefer some cover of the wrists ideally. All the gloves I look at are all either too small or have fingers that are not long enough making it difficult to flex fingers and pull levers etc
Has anyone got any gloves that they could recommend ? :)
something like thisView attachment 130394

Hi peanut,
seems you need gloves that are made to measure.
Back when I was a kid, my Auntie Flo along with many other ladies in Martock made gloves "by the piece" in her home.
Perhaps their children and grandchildren still do? Martock's just down the road from Crewkerne and you could check it out?

Peanut, would it help if we could measure and report the thicknesses of our glove material?
not really 2M ...it wouldn't tell me much about the suppleness and fit . I can see from your image that your gloves would be too thick and restrictive for example.

The thickness I'm looking for is the same as the image I posted which is basically a driving glove , very supple deerskin however saying that ...the fit is far more important.
I cannot find a glove large enough for my hands and the few that I have been able to get my hands into have had really short fingers which prevents me bending my fingers properly.
My hands are not particularly wide (120mm ) ,or long (8.5" ) but they are quite thick through the palms so the circumference around the palm is 10.75" and finger length 3.75"

Hi peanut,
seems you need gloves that are made to measure.
Back when I was a kid, my Auntie Flo along with many other ladies in Martock made gloves "by the piece" in her home.
Perhaps their children and grandchildren still do? Martock's just down the road from Crewkerne and you could check it out?

ha ! Fred I hadn't realised that you had Family in Martock.? you probably told me and I forgot lol.

Yes It is ironic that I live in what was once probably the centre of glove making in Britain and cannot find a pair of gloves to fit me.
I'd love to have some gloves made to measure but I could never justify such a luxury on a State pension.
There used to be a wonderful leather worker in Dorchester (Dorset ) . The workshop was well over 100 years old and the elderly Gentleman that owned the shop was in his 80s and still working. His Family had owned the shop for many generations. There were bits of tack and belts and leather rolls and strange looking tools everywhere hanging from the ceilings and covering the walls and the dingy gloomy workshop stretched back into darkness holding heavens knows what. it was like walking back into the past 100 years

I asked him to make a special gunbelt for me back in the days of full bore practical Pistol Shooting. He very patiently listened to my ideas and gently guided me to a practical design and a few weeks later I had this gorgeous hand made leather belt that I have treasured ever since. I heard that he had passed away soon after and as there wasn't a Family member interested in taking it over, the shop was sold off and 100+ year history and skills lost forever ...very sad.

But ....I digress. I'll pop over to Martock in the Spring and take some pictures for you see if they jog any memories.

I had a workshop in Bower Hinton for a couple of years when we ran an animatronic interactive business supplying Museums, Theme Parks and Visitor Attractions years ago . We supplied some of the US water theme attractions with interactive sound systems . I came across one of my animatronic Robot talking heads the other day at the back of my garage. I'll have to drag it out and see if It still works after 20 years and post a video .

ha ! Fred I hadn't realised that you had Family in Martock.? you probably told me and I forgot lol.
Yes It is ironic that I live in what was once probably the centre of glove making in Britain and cannot find a pair of gloves to fit me.
I'd love to have some gloves made to measure but I could never justify such a luxury on a State pension.
There used to be a wonderful leather worker in Dorchester (Dorset ) . The workshop was well over 100 years old and the elderly Gentleman that owned the shop was in his 80s and still working. His Family had owned the shop for many generations. There were bits of tack and belts and leather rolls and strange looking tools everywhere hanging from the ceilings and covering the walls and the dingy gloomy workshop stretched back into darkness holding heavens knows what. it was like walking back into the past 100 years
I asked him to make a special gunbelt for me back in the days of full bore practical Pistol Shooting. He very patiently listened to my ideas and gently guided me to a practical design and a few weeks later I had this gorgeous hand made leather belt that I have treasured ever since. I heard that he had passed away soon after and as there wasn't a Family member interested in taking it over, the shop was sold off and 100+ year history and skills lost forever ...very sad.
But ....I digress. I'll pop over to Martock in the Spring and take some pictures for you see if they jog any memories.
I had a workshop in Bower Hinton for a couple of years when we ran an animatronic interactive business supplying Museums, Theme Parks and Visitor Attractions years ago . We supplied some of the US water theme attractions with interactive sound systems . I came across one of my animatronic Robot talking heads the other day at the back of my garage. I'll have to drag it out and see if It still works after 20 years and post a video .

Hi peanut,
must be more than 50 years ago that I was there and my Martock uncles, aunts and cousins have all passed on.
My uncle Alec used to manage the local gas works, it's tied house was electricity free. Gas lights and a gas fridge.
He used to take the radio's glass box accumulator to the local garage to be charged once a week.
But I didn't see the Martock gas holders on Google-Earth when I looked, they must be long gone.
"Nostalgia's OK but it's not as good as it used to be."

In the U.S. there is a company called Airgas that sells welding equipment and supplies. They have a broad range of "driver" gloves in various animal hides. I have used these for years:
RAD-64056007.jpg

https://www.airgas.com/product/Safety-Products/Gloves/Drivers-Gloves/p/RAD64056007
I like them because they are white, which I hope makes my hand signaling more visible at night (I don't have turn signals).
I also like them because they are less than $5 a pair. Gloves don't last very long, so that's a big bonus.
What I don't like is that they say "Radnor" in big letters on the back, along with the manufacturer's part number, but hey, no big deal.
If you have an Airgas in your town you can walk in and make sure you get the right size.
https://www.airgas.com/category/Safety-Products-Gloves-Drivers-Gloves/_/N-867

Interesting, never heard of Airgas before but doing a search, I see there is a store in my area. I will be making a trip there. I think I will try some of the other skins. Pigskin is more porous so it would be cooler for the hot weather, supposed to be stronger than cowhide too. Goatskin is supposed to be the most waterproof because of it's high natural lanolin content. It's also supposed to be the strongest and most durable type of leather. Thanks for the info DogBunny.

In the U.S. there is a company called Airgas that sells welding equipment and supplies. They have a broad range of "driver" gloves in various animal hides. I have used these for years:
View attachment 130641
https://www.airgas.com/product/Safety-Products/Gloves/Drivers-Gloves/p/RAD64056007
I like them because they are white, which I hope makes my hand signaling more visible at night (I don't have turn signals).
I also like them because they are less than $5 a pair. Gloves don't last very long, so that's a big bonus.
What I don't like is that they say "Radnor" in big letters on the back, along with the manufacturer's part number, but hey, no big deal.
If you have an Airgas in your town you can walk in and make sure you get the right size.
https://www.airgas.com/category/Safety-Products-Gloves-Drivers-Gloves/_/N-867

thats a steal for a natural hide product. I found a great pair of tan deerskin gloves but like these they had a really naff product name in huge letters on the backs

Unfortunately there are no Airgas stores in the UK and the nearest City of any size where I could walk into a store and try anything out would be a 100 mile round trip on very small slow Country lanes that would take several hours . I love living in a tiny village in the midle of nowhere but shopping for anything is a huge drawback.

Back