GM module based ignition?

trash

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I found this last night while looking up wiring diagrams for my xs1100 and while I am not altering the ignition on it, I am curious as to its adaptability/advantages with the xs650. Seeing as how I just got done tearing mine down, it's not going to be ready to experiment on for a while yet so I figured the electric gurus might chime in and tell us about it

Last edited:
I have been running an HEI on my XS650 for over four years. Even using 30 year old parts from a junkyard, it has been dead reliable.

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ID&action=display&thread=7899&page=1

The advantages are; low cost parts available anywhere, full powerful spark even when battery voltage is low, dynamic dwell control so there is no heat issues with the coil, and pride in knowing that you made it yourself.

20060427_ignition_module_14.jpg

This is really fascinating but I have a hard time working through it all in detail because I'll probably never go this route myself. Mainly because it seems to rely on the mechanical advance.

That's pretty genius mrriggs. That may just be the ignition I go back with. Price and reliability are the two driving factors in anything I work on. Now how can I build a pms for under $50?:D

Back