Going to the Death Valley rally today

8AE297F6-EC8F-416A-85DD-41564CF10E75.jpeg

IMG_0560.JPG
We made it to the end of the road in one piece. There was a spring fed creek back in the trees. Really peaceful listening to the creek and wind in the cottonwood trees. We stopped and sat for about 20 minutes. Not too many people come here.
Time was catching up with us so we packed up and headed back down to stovepipe wells.

IMG_0552.JPG
Previously ,I filled my gas tank at stovepipe before we rode up the canyon and when we returned there I decided to see if I could make it all the way back to the furnace creek campground. Besides we had an extra gallon of gas with us. I'm geared way low and cruising speed for me is about 50 mph. I had a little traffic behind me but it's a park and everyone there is pretty mellow.
I made it right to the campground and ran out. Pretty good timing!
Seriously a 1.8 gallon gas tank in Death Valley is a foolish choice. You can get yourself in a real jam.

About 5 minutes after I took that sunset photo the wind came up and we were in a dust storm. It was interesting eating a pizza watching it all take place.

Last edited:
IMG_0565.JPG
When daylight broke we loaded up and headed out. We even got a little snow in Tehachepi on the way home!
Thanks for reading, it was a fun trip. Death Valley is a fun ride even if you stay on the pavement. make sure to fill your gas tank whether you need it or not!

Nice pics. How much of the route is off the pavement and in the dirt? Are there any gas stops inside Death Valley? I'll have to get some friends together for this next year, looks like a good time.

Most of the miles we rode were off road. There are two places for gas in Death Valley, Stove Pipe, and Furnace Creek. We have been riding in this area since the early 1990’s. We go there at least twice a year.

We probably did 150 miles in the dirt and 200 pavement. There is gas at Stovepipe Wells and Furnace Creek. On the east of the park is Beatie Nevada, there's gas there also. We usually stay there because motels are less expensive. If you can get your hands on a map just study it and make your own routes. We have been riding here for years and still not seen everything.
June 15-17 is the "high pipe festival" at China Peak ski resort. Huntington Lake ca. That will be another fun event. It's in the Fresno area.

Back