Gone for awhile

Barb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This Saturday (10/2) I am leaving for Montana to care for my father--age 91. Basically either I go over there or he goes into hospice, and while I can help him avoid it, he will never to into hospice. Period.

So I will be there for as long as I can provide him some sort of dignity and respect in his final battle. He's a fighter and hopefully will be here a long time, and I'm deeply grateful for this chance to pay him back a little for all he has done for me. In his day he was an Indian and Harley rider, and took me for my first ride ever, sitting me on the tank of an old Harley, I don't know what kind, but it had a tank shift, and I was amazed, frightened and lost to motorcycles for the rest of my life.

So I will check in, especially until everyone has their memorial patch. It will just be occasional, as time permits. And instead of rebuilding my XS"D" this winter, I will be doing important work, and loving every minute, even when it is less than perfect.

I'll be checking in, Guys, but this comes first. (And I have two spare patches, if anyone still wants one.)

You come, you go. At least this time, you let us know.
Best wishes for your father. He will be more comfortable at home.
Check in when you can.

Dan

Take care barb...

You gonna get someone to take care of your lawn while you're gone this time? :)

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the wishes. For several months we have taken full advantage of the many resources available for my father. I'm frankly in awe of the programs available in Hamilton, Montana! Visiting nurse, PT guy, cleaning services, financial aid (not necessary but good to know)--it's wonderful, and very appreciated.

Basically he needs someone to be there when he wakes up at night, or needs help standing or sitting, or getting his walker, and someone to not only prepare meals, but who will sit and eat with him, and talk with him. He gets frustrated, and tired of being, in his words, "..a tired old lump", and loves social interaction, and it is my opportunity to give him whatever he needs to be comfortable.

He is, by the way, a WWII Navy vet who served in the Pacific with the 58th Seabees, attached to the 6th Marines. He worked well into his '70's, and even now keeps his tools handy, "just in case".

But mostly, he's just my Pop, and I love him, and will do anything to make this part of his life as gentle as possible. I appreciate your good wishes and encouragement.

As it was already said family does come first no matter what. I bet it will be nice to spend some good quality time with your father

Hi Guys,

Sadly, the Universe has it's own agenda: on October 4th, at 3:06pm, my father quietly and peacefully passed away, joining my mother in whatever comes next. I have to feel that he and Mom are riding a tank-shift HD or Indian somewhere where it never rains, and the pavement is free of holes: I know it must be heaven because the bike isn't leaking oil.....

His family was there, including his three kids. He is survived by my sister, my brother and myself, his grandkids, and great-grandkids (my granddaughters). I miss him terribly, but had the privilege of being there and holding his hand as he left his body behind. My Sis and I kissed him goodbye, I shut his eyes, and in a final act of love and respect, we gently pulled the sheet over his wonderful face.

It was the hardest thing I've ever done.

My brother asked for and of course was given Pop's air-conditioning tools, and I got the rest, which I will use daily. It is a comfort to use something that he touched. I have a picture of him sitting there, looking like a bad-ass, on my '77 "D"---taken about 1990.

Rest in peace, Pop. 1919 to 2010 is a pretty good run, and he made every day count!

Barb -

I don't think you and I have ever had the pleasure of exchanging posts, but may I be the first to offer you my condolences. Having lost both of my folks, that feeling of loss is always as close as closing my eyes and thinking about it. Fortunately, though, happier memories have now overcome the sense of loss. I'm sure you'll find your way there in time.

TC

Barb we stand at your side in this time of sadness. I think you were blessed in your father, and he in you.

Condolances to you & your family Barb.
91 is a fine innings, and to make it there in good style is quite an achievement!
I shall raise a drink in his general direction at the setting of todays sun, :cheers:

Barb sounds like your father passed on his talents to you. You cannot ask for more than that. Any time we make life better for our children than we had we have done our job. I am sure he is resting in a better world. God Bless The other TC

Last edited:
You described my experience last April practically to a tee. It's a trip. Best wishes.

Barb.
You have such good memorys. Your family was able to do your father proud.
My sympathies for your loss and the pain.

Back