Good Canadian source for top end gaskets?

Jtcrash

Satans proctologist
Reaction score
Being in Ontario and having XS650 direct (mikes XS) in a neighbouring town i was going through their site looking to get the proper things for my top end rebuild. That being said it seems that they only offer the Athena brand of gasket set. After reading several threads on going through the top end it seems to be an over all consensus that I shouldn't be using them. Please advise

Being in Ontario and having XS650 direct (mikes XS) in a neighbouring town i was going through their site looking to get the proper things for my top end rebuild. That being said it seems that they only offer the Athena brand of gasket set. After reading several threads on going through the top end it seems to be an over all consensus that I shouldn't be using them. Please advise

I’m using the Athena kit in my current XS2 build. I think they’re a nice complete kit. I know that some folks think that the head gasket that Athena provides is too thick. You might also be able to find some less expensive alternatives on eBay.

The major consequence of a too thick head gasket is a tiny bit lower compression ratio.

That will lead to a tiny bit less power - but it will also result in a bit less heat and thus, a longer-lived engine.

Either way, not a biggie MO.

My 1976 XS650C build used Athena gaskets and she goes like sh!t through a goose.

Pete

Guys, I don't think Athena head gaskets are thicker than OE, I've measured them. The Athena head gasket not only lowers compression, it also advances valve timing significantly, which in my experience is not the direction you want to move it in. Will Athena gaskets work? Sure they will, if you want to settle for a head gasket that's .017" out of spec because .060" (1.5 mm.) stock is cheaper.

Most independent motorcycle shops and dealerships can order Vesrah gasket sets, made in Japan to OE specifications. I frankly don't understand why anyone would use anything else.

Back