Good Heart, Bad Intentions: another build thread

Problem with the rear fairing mounts (hopefully) solved!...

2013-04-22 16.25.00.jpg

So how did the cush drive feel? Any different?

Maaaan, you're killin' me here! :doh::laugh: I'd love to be able to tell ya! The cush drive is still just a bare hub, sitting on the side burner project-wise.

First, it needs to be built into a complete wheel; I have the old stock 18" H-type alloy rim, but I think the spoke hole drillings will be sub-optimal (coming from a drum-brake application), and the rim is not really as wide (2.15") as I'd prefer.

A new H-type from Buchanan's is $$$, especially on top of the new spokes I'd like them to make. Mike's has some reasonably-priced 2.15x18 rims, but I'm holding out for a 2.5x18 alloy H-type, which is starting to look like a rare beast!

Next, I'll have to fab a new rear brake caliper hanger to move the brake over 5/16". Not a huge deal, but unlike swapping in a whole new wheel, it would require a few days of dis-assembly/downtime to accomplish... and with the improving weather my thoughts are more on riding and less on fabricating!

osteoderm, I really like all that you have done/made with this XS650 and I admire your patience and your ability to slow down and take pictures to share with us. Me...I am to impatient and forgetful, not to mention IMPATIENT!

I totally understand about doing things YOUR way, to suit your own vision and not being afraid to change course along the way......sometimes ending up in a place you never thought you would! I see that you likely believe, as do I, that pretty much the only way to get stuff that fits YOUR application done exactly the way you want it done is to DO IT YOURSELF, though I will say that I am EXTREMELY jealous of the equipment and shop you have access to! (and someone chided ME about having a damned stupid-simple LATHE in my shop!) Oh..yeah...and I also see that you feel like I do about just jumping in and trying to do things and learning as you go.....the end results are often amazing (to my friends and especially to me) and you sure can learn a lot along the way!! I have often heard form my wife or from friends that "I didn't know you knew how to do that." and my response is usually something like "I didn't know how to do that until I did some research, took a class or two and TRIED it." You have RESET my standards.....don't know what I will build next, but I am looking forward to it!! (I'm leaning toward a cafe racer of some stripe...)

PS..I liked the shot of the parts in the dishwasher. I do that, too and also cure paint in the kitchen oven sometimes and my friends are all in awe that my wife "lets" me do that!! :laugh:

I totally understand about doing things YOUR way, to suit your own vision and not being afraid to change course along the way......sometimes ending up in a place you never thought you would!

Well, yup, that just about sums up my attitude. Or, like the classic wooden boat builder/designer R. D. "Pete" Culler wrote: "Experience starts when you begin". Thanks again for the kudos, and for following along!

I woke up too early (for a Sunday), skipped coffee, dragged my ass to the shop, and tore into the bike this morning. I've been getting some oil spitting off the head at speed, with drips collecting around the ignition covers. I also had a new PAMCO E-Advance to play with...

So... all new cam seals, o-rings, and gaskets, E-Advance mounted to frame and wires soldered in, mechanical advance swapped for Pete's new parts, new plugs, cam chain and valves set, vacuum barbs drilled and tapped into manifolds, timing and carb sync set. Of course, fairing re & re for all this, with a rare "naked" photo:

2013-04-28 14.19.06.jpg

She's back together now, and I should be all fired up to go for a spin and see how she goes, right? Except now it's after 3pm, and I still haven't had my morning coffee... :eek:

I didn't get out today even though it was perfect for riding. Too many honey-do's on the list.

Nice casual 80-mile loop through Narragansett, Wakefield, Peacdale, around URI, and out to Quonset through Exeter on Saturday. Came back with engine oil on my leg, and spent all day today in maintenance tear-down mode. Oil leaks fixed, but a quick blast out to Third Beach tells me I still have a timing issue to solve.

Not the weekend of epic riding I hoped for, but I can't fault the weather! :bike:

I can has Lectrons? Oh yes... Weird how these came into my life just as I've gotten the VM34's running 100%...

2013-05-12 10.18.48.jpg

Vintage 34mm Lectrons from Patches. Looks like these had been set up for big fuel flow (alcohol?) with double powerjets (second jet tubes/lines now removed) and fat metering rods. As advertised by Patches, these look clean and ready to go.

I just polished the slides a touch, and reamed them for 1/4" cable ends. I also reamed the cable adjusters to work with MTB brake cable stops. This allows me to go with my preferred cables; Jagwire teflon-coated wire inside Kevlar jacketed stainless housing.

I've seen a couple different suggestions for metering rods to be used with these on the XS. I have replaced the 3-2 rods as supplied with FB-1XL rods from Fast By Gast. I've also ordered a pair of 0-2XL rods from Lectron. I can't imagine I'll need more range than that.

I still have to sort out an acceptable air filter solution, finish making up the cable splitter, find some 5/16" inline filters, etc., but I'm pretty stoked to head down this road.

Last edited:
Gotta love the powerjets, used to install thunderjet kits onto evo harleys for top end fueling/tuning...have fun.

Gotta love the powerjets, used to install thunderjet kits onto evo harleys for top end fueling/tuning...have fun.

Yeah, part of me wants to set up the second set of powerjets just for the "ridiculousness factor", but my research leads me to believe that just cracking open the first (adjustable) set of jets should be more than enough in this application.

Metering rod lengths set, slides synced, new throttle cables made up, just fuel lines to go...

2013-05-15 19.07.05.jpg

Will it all work? Will it run for shit by the weekend? Stay tuned!

Well, after a couple afternoons of frustrated tinkering (sorry for all the evening revving, neighbors!), I finally have the bike something close to running tune.

The line between too rich and too lean is razor-thin at idle with these FB-1XL rods. I'm finding it hard to tune at idle; the carbs load up fairly quickly, making things seem rich. Then, a quick ride around town shows them to be lean (revs hanging high, popping on decel). I'm hopeful that the 0-2XL rods will help this.

Right now the bike is just a touch lean overall, with an off-throttle stumble, and hard to keep going at stoplights. On the other hand, above 3k RPM, just thinking of throttle lights the fuse! Throttle response is crazy, and for the first time since I've ridden the bike, hanging onto full throttle through 5k is finally genuinely scary. Snapping the slides open makes for immediate acceleration; the split-second hesitation and full-throttle/mid-rpm bog of the VM's is gone.

In short, I have a ways to go, but the promise of the these Lectrons is huge.

Last edited:
More farting around with the FB-1XL rods in the Lectrons, and while obviously far from perfect, I was able to get the ol' gal out to the Twisted Throttle open house on Saturday... It was humbling to be parked in the midst of a few hundred other bikes, of all sorts, and be one of the few that drew any attention!

260436_600882943263180_1043765739_n.jpg

I picked up one of their new "Powerhub" fused distribution blocks, which should very neatly replace the wad of inline fuse holders currently residing in the tail section.

The Lectrons are still in need of much tuning. With these rods, they run RICH or not at all, and any kind of part-throttle steady-speed riding under 5k RPM loads them up and fouls the plugs. On the other hand...

On one particular stretch of between-two-exits freeway, where the bike would previously touch 80mph wide open, I made 89mph before slowing for traffic. The throttle response is alarmingly good, especially above 5k! The Lectrons also have a very different WOT sound from the VM's; not much louder, but deeper and ballsier. I have to admit that the character of the bike has made a subtle shift towards the more aggressive...

Last edited:
Back