Good Heart, Bad Intentions: another build thread

Go here for a fuse panel. http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html
It's a bit cheaper. He also sells connectors. Check him out.

I'm familiar with Eastern Beaver, and looked at going that route when I first wired the bike. The Twisted Throttle Powerhub wasn't yet in production then. They are two interesting pieces to compare, and both deserve a bit more use and recognition.

The PC-8 has 8 circuits; 2 constant, 6 switched. The relay for the switched outputs is a separate unit.

The Powerhub has 6 circuits; all 6 are interchangeably constant or switched. The relay for the switched circuits is built onto the board. There are two spare fuse holders on the board.

Both use an external ATC inline fuse holder for a master. Both use ATM fuses for the branch circuits. There are advantages and disadvantages either way when it comes to keeping the switched relay on or off the board; in my own case, space constraints give the advantage to the integrated Powerhub.

The PC-8 has more circuits, but the Powerhub is more flexible re: switched/constant wiring.

The PC-8 main wiring is probably more robust/simple, with sturdy-looking lug terminals. They're otherwise both about the the same size, with basically identical construction and materials. Both are much smaller and tidier than any of the alternative encased ATC/ATO fuse blocks I've seen.

The Powerhub comes with external wiring, fuse holder, wire taps, stainless mounting hardware, mounting plate, and velcro mounts included.

The PC-8 comes with nothing, although many different levels/lengths/sizes of pre-made harness and mounting hardware are available as supplemental kits.

To where I live in RI, the Powerhub is $123.05 taxed and delivered (I paid $110.75 w/tax by showing up in person on an open house sale day).

With equivalent wiring, mounting hardware, and velcro included, The PC-8 is $119.05 delivered.

There certainly are small but justifiable reasons to choose one over the other depending on someone's particular preferences and application, but I personally can't see fit to say either is superior to the other.

Thanks for bringing these up guys. Awesome stuff. Want one real bad...

From what I see the pc8, is better for someone running more accessories (60amps vs 30 amp max of the powerhub). However, with the separate wiring harness its way more expensive.

Thanks for bringing these up guys. Awesome stuff. Want one real bad...

From what I see the pc8, is better for someone running more accessories (60amps vs 30 amp max of the powerhub). However, with the separate wiring harness its way more expensive.

The $119.05 I quoted for the PC-8 includes the wiring harness and mounting hardware kits, along with shipping. Of course, shipping will vary. Still, I think the price difference between these two is negligible; I think they're both a decent value.

I have a much harder time justifying the other alternative... The Motogadget m-Unit V.2 is too cool, and would completely comb out my electrical system, but at well over twice the price of either the Powerhub or PC-8, it's not really worth comparing. :laugh:

Just went back to eastern beaver, thanks for clarifying that. I wondered why the wiring was so expensive... :doh: now I see it is the pc8 and wiring for that price. I like the pc8 much more now.

Also found another company making a product essentially identical to the powerhub. Fuzeblock fz-1... same price. :shrug:

I did see the motogadget too... that thing is awesome... programmable electronic fuses. Sick! Its 2013... what took so long? :laugh:

Just looked up that Fuzeblock, and it looks completely identical to the Powerhub. Huh. Twisted Throttle probably just re-brands it and deposit as a complete kit, harness/hardware included. Looks about the same price either way.

I can't see spending that much when you can get a 6 fuse block from Advanced Auto for around ten bucks. It ain't as pretty or fancy, uses the regular ATM fuses instead of the ATC mini fuses but works great and coast a lot less.
Leo

I can't see spending that much when you can get a 6 fuse block from Advanced Auto for around ten bucks. It ain't as pretty or fancy, uses the regular ATM fuses instead of the ATC mini fuses but works great and coast a lot less.

Yes, these types of fuse blocks are not for everyone. If spending the least amount of money, regardless of other considerations, is the highest priority, then I absolutely agree with you.

I'm not saying that these fuse blocks are the best way, the only way, or even the preferred way. I can only speak for myself and with regard to my own bike; the less-expensive options I've tried have not performed to my standards.

Hey Osteoderm.. where did you end up getting your fairing? I'm looking around for options and really have only come across Airtech.. are there other options? Or are they my best bet? Thanks man... really wicked build you have.

Hey Osteoderm.. where did you end up getting your fairing? I'm looking around for options and really have only come across Airtech.. are there other options? Or are they my best bet? Thanks man... really wicked build you have.

All my own searches came back to Airtech, so that's where I went. Not cheap, and the lead-time is pretty loooong, but great folks to deal with otherwise; very helpful, knowledgeable, and accommodating. Not anywhere close to "bolt-on", and the surface finish requires a ton of work for paint. Otherwise very light, tough, and flexible.

Never a good time for another bad idea...

2013-06-06 16.41.31.jpg

:laugh::wink2::doh:

I'd be concerned with the heat affecting the seal.

All materials have been carefully chosen for maximum resistance to the effects of heat and oil immersion. Having said that, this is only a prototype, and as such I am looking for things to fail in testing.

I was recently asked to provide a buildsheet for a website profile thingy. After digging through my records and receipts, I came up with a fairly complete parts/spec list, and I thought it might be interesting for some of you to see it here, all in one post. So:

1974 Yamaha TX6560A, smoothed/de-tabbed frame, bolt-on aluminium rear subframe, modified for monoshock

1973 TX750 swingarm, needle-bearing pivot, modified for monoshock
2009 Kawasaki ZX6R monoshock and rocker link, custom dogbone links
1992 Yamaha FZR600 fork legs, 1.00kg/mm Race Tech springs, Race Tech Gold Valves, lowered 2.5", milled to accept modified/stock axle
1976 Yamaha TT500 triple clamps, custom steering stem, milled to 36mm

1992 Yamaha FZR600 front brake rotors, custom spacers
1990 Yamaha FZR600 brake calipers
2007 Apriia RSV2000R front master cylinder

2009 Apriia RSV1000R rear brake rotor, very custom mount
2010 Apriia RSV4 rear brake caliper hanger
2003 Ducati 749S rear brake caliper
2006 Ducati 749S rear brake master cylinder

Stock 19" alloy H-type DID front wheel, custom bearing spacers, modified stock axle
1973 TX750 19" alloy H-type DID front wheel in rear, Omar's drive-side sprocket adapter and bearing spacers, Rebel Gears sprockets
Avon Roadrider 100/90-19 tires

Stock engine, except for:
Vintage Lectron 34mm flatslide carbs (a recent replacement for last year's Mikuni VM34 carbs)
Hugh's Handbuilt Permanent Magnet Alternator & solid-state regulator/rectifier
PAMCO solid-state ignition with electronic advance
Heiden Tuning oil filter/cooler
GordonScott Engineering custom 2-1 exhaust
2007 Apriia RSV1000R hydraulic clutch & master cylinder
Starter delete - kickstart only

Airtech Streamlining CR7501 fairing, modified, custom aluminium mounts, sketchy rattle-can paint
Gustafsson Plastics windscreen, modified
1972 Suzuki Titan gas tank, modified tunnel, flush-mount filler, dual Golan 5/16" petcocks, even worse paint
Custom aluminium seatpan and composite tail, by owner
KTM factory aftermarket enduro conversion switchgear
High Tech Speed X-Arc LED indicator/tail/brake lights
Jute 9908 H4 headlight (JDM OEM scooter unit, have yet to find another just like it)
SpeedHut semi-custom analog GPS/speedo/tach
Ballistic Evo2 4-cell LiFe battery
Full custom wiring harness by owner

Tarozzi clip-ons
KTM/Domino throttle, G2 Ergonomics throttle tube/cam
Tarozzi rearsets, modified, custom mounts
NHK ODM3000E steering damper
Oberon bar-end mirrors

so, did you plan (activiely search for specifc) the parts from the various models or just happen into them and decide to make them fit? huh? huh?

so, did you plan (activiely search for specifc) the parts from the various models or just happen into them and decide to make them fit? huh? huh?

The list accurately represents the parts I ended up using, however, I didn't start looking for any particular make/model.

First, I formulated in my head the direction I wanted to take (on any particular aspect of the bike), then I looked at as many different bikes, websites, and resources as possible to see what (if anything) was already available as a stock-application part that would fit my vision as well or better than a custom or standard aftermarket part. For this bike, I wanted to use OEM parts wherever possible, because they look "stock".

I ended up using a bunch of Ducati and Aprilia parts simply because that seems to be the common source of late-model OEM Brembo components online. Moreover, there seems to be a whole bunch of parts interchangeability between modern Italian sportsbikes, so it's pretty simple to match up parts that will work together.

The bike is obviously modified, and of course any real XS650 nerd would spot all the changes at a glance, but it's amazing how many question I get asked at events, on the street, etc. by other bikers who can't quite put their finger on what is stock and what is modified.

Man cool build!! I can't wait to see that clear clutch cover, I want to do one on my 81 so bad!!

Back