Good Oil info

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My neighbor came over the other day while I was changing the oil on my Ultra and wanted me to show him how to change it on his bike because he's tired of paying a dealer $180 to do it. One of the things I showed him was that I use the same oil in the engine, trans and primary. I use Mobile One that I buy in the 5 qt jugs which is much cheaper than buying the individual qt bottles. He asked me how it was possible to use the same oil in all three and I could only say that I always have which led me to the info in the following link which I found to be very interesting. http://easyrider.easyrider.com/opinions.htm

um yeah uh huh he basically knows nothing, entire article is a mix of factory reco's and opinion. I do mostly agree with what he sez...
Changed EBR oil at 60 miles on the ODO because bike just sat for 5 years. like Harley they call for 10-40 below 40 F. Buell uses Amzoil as factory fill. I just don't buy into amzoil marketing, even though the local Farm&Fleet carries it. So 10-40 Valvoline conv. ATV oil went in. will probably change again at 600 miles. at 150 miles now, another 150 before the 6K max RPM changes to 7K till 600 miles when all 11K rpms are good.:D........... I find my used oil makes good fire starter in the wood stove. Maybe1/8 cup at most poured on cardboard and kindling, LOT of energy in a quart of oil..............

Last edited:
On my Harley I ran the HD 20w50 oil through the 1000 mile check up where the dealer put in the HD 20w50. At 5000 miles I started to try different synth oils. The Mobil 1 20w50 the engine made more noise than the HD oil. It ran about the same mileage and engine temps.
Amsoil 20w50 the engine ran cooler made much less noise and gained about 2 mpg.
I tried these oils in the primary and tranny.
During the first few oil changes with synth oils the oil got very dark fairly quickly. After awhile the oil stays cleaner longer.
In reading things about synth oil I found that dino oils no matter how good then to build up sludge in the engine. Synth oils clean this sludge out. Even with only 5000 miles of dino oil in the engine it had built up enough sludge to leave the synth oil dirty for about three oil changes.
I now use the Amsoil 20-50 in the engine, the 10w40 in the primary and the 80w135 gear oil in the tranny.
I change the engine at 5000 miles, the primary and tranny get changed at 10,000 miles.
I use the lighter oil in the primary because I ride in very cool weather. Down into the low 40's and upper 30's. The thinner oils cause less clutch drag at these temps.
The tranny at 10k the oil looks like new. The primary looks dirty because of clutch plate wear.The oil in the primary is used more for cooling the clutch than oiling the chain.
In my 650's I don't run the synth oils because of the frequent oils changes, it is not economically feasible. The extra benefits don't balance with the extra cost. Now if I could separate the oils in the 650 like I can with the Harley I would use a synth oil.
In the XS650 the tranny breaks down the oil by crushing the molecule strands. Engine oil can't withstand that as long as synth oils The clutch just dirties it up to much.
For the XS's I use Valvoline's 20w50 motorcycle oil. It has enough lead in it to help the cam lobes and rockers. Is wet clutch compatible. I can get it at the auto parts stores I shop at. It don't cost to much and I don't feel bad dumping it at 1500 to 2000 mile oil changes.
Leo

Leo, for ever I tried finding out the wt of HD tranny/primary fluid and it was like some kinda secret that nobody knew thus the wide range of wts and products. I finally ran across some doc that said 165 CST which I believe is standard 40wt Motor oil. None of my riding is in extreme temps so 20-50 works just fine. I think you can buy synth just as reasonably in the 5 qt jug.

One shop nearby has the Amsoil In a gallon jug for $43. In quarts it runs around $12. By the gallon isn't much of a saving but it's easier to carry.
The Amsoil 20w50 works well in all holes. I have found the tranny is a bit quieter with the gear oil. And work well in cooler temps.
Leo

Read through both the oil blogs, noticed amzoil was placed in much different positions by the two sets of tests guys. hmm

Last edited:
I have this unnerving gut feeling that oil formulations are not only proprietary, but dynamic. Last year's oil may be different from this year's oil, and we'd never know...

That's like my unnerving suspicion motorcycle-specific oils are formulated by the new hires and the interns. Along with the lawnmower oil.

Back