Good Price on 1980 XS850?

YL82

Perpetual Restorationist
Reaction score
I'm going to check out this bike tomorrow that is about a mile down the road from me. According to owner, it has 19,000 miles on it. It's apparently shaft-driven.

I'm considering taking my compression gauge with me. Will take it for a spin if its not pouring the rain.

Any tips on checking out this XS850?

He's asking $1,500.00.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 687
  • XS850_4.jpg
    XS850_4.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 5,843
  • XS850_3.jpg
    XS850_3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,149
Last edited:
Make sure it's charging, and hopefully does not have Hitachi carbs! The Hitachi carbs are not really adjustment friendly I've heard, although I have never messed with them. The 850s are pretty solid bikes and great torque is made when they are tuned correctly. I have done the carbs on a couple of 850s at my buddy's bike shop. Sync is extremely important to smooth running and getting all that torque. When you are adjusting them, they truly come "on song" when the vacuum matches up. Other than that, look for the same stuff you would on an XS. Can't remember if they are TCI or not. Hope this is useful.

Very helpful indeed.

I've done a little reading on the "Triples" and saw some comments about problematic vacuum operated petcocks. Advice was to annually replace vacuum lines... And fuel lines and something about rubber diaphragms. My 76C lacks vacuum petcocks, so I've never messed with them. Sounds like I also need to remove left side cover to hopefully find a very clean charging system connector.

I will check out the type of carbs. I'll be looking for some images of Hitachi carbs from that era to see what they look like. Also saw advice to never ever mess with carb sync screws w/o a mercury vacuum meter. Another tool purchase...

Thanks for your feedback, jd750ace!

an 80 would be TCI equipped, more vibrations than the 750 triple but great sound when running right, 15 is a little high would have to be damn near perfect in my opinion

Thanks, jayel. That's instructive. I'll be determining the owners pricing flexibility tomorrow.

Check out the first post in this thread for the cheap and easy carb sync tool. Easy to use with multi-cylinder bikes like the triple by balancing a pair, then use either of the balanced pair and connect to the 3rd cylinder and match it to the one already in the money. When doing fours, you do the left or right pair first, then the opposite pair, then connect to either one in the synced pairs. I have one standing in the corner right now. I use ATF. Seems to have the right body to it. Some people use 2 stroke oil. Either one, if accidentally ingested by the motor will not cause harm, other than smoke and fouling your plug. Not so with mercury. Suck a load of mercury in and you can junk a motor. Mercury and aluminum are not friends, and blasting it out the exhaust pipe all over the shop is an environmental disaster as well.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37

I know nothing about XS850.

Your comment:
"Also saw advice to never ever mess with carb sync screws w/o a mercury vacuum meter. Another tool purchase..."

You should avoid using Mercury. Mercury is very toxic to humans. It was used for many years to measure blood pressure, in thermometers, dental fillings and in industry, because its dangers were not recognized. It is now being phased out of use due to its health hazard.

If you want to use a manometer, which is a good idea, use a liquid such as ATF, motor oil, or Stabil. Very easy to make your own with just some plastic tubing.

I have no desire to become "Mad as a Hatter" (mercury poisoning reference). :)

Mercury was used back in 19th century England by felt hat makers to remove animal furs from the skins of small animals. Symptoms of poisoning included tremors, irritability and mental instability. My wife says that I only have the last 2 symptoms. :D

I didn't realize that a u-tube manometer could be used in lieu of a mercury vacuum meter. So it sounds like despite the number of carbs, you only sync two carbs at a time...?

I have a 24" Dwyer which uses green fluorescein liquid, which is pretty, but its very thin and jumps around terribly when trying to sync my carbs. I need to replace the liquid with one of the suggested fluids.

I do have materials to make a much longer home-made manometer, just haven't got around to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 348
XSjohn reccomended using air valves from fish tank air systems to control the fluid flutter. Put one in each line adjust them both a bit at a time till the flutter stabilizes. Others put pilot jets in the hoses.
That way you won't have to change the fluid in your Dwyer tool.
Leo

When you have a 4 tube sync tool, it has a reference tube for every cylinder, but the twin tube is the simple device for those of us who make our own. For a 4 point reference, you would need a common reservoir for all the tubes. With the 2 holer, the lower loop forms the common reservoir.

I believe it was Gary that suggested using pilot jets for a flow restriction to dampen the flutter. BTW, heavy flutter (with restrictors) is indicative of an air leak in the intake, either at the carb boots or the filter to carb joint. Often it mostly goes away above 1500 rpm or so, as the airbox comes under increased flow. If it does not, you have a significant air leak.

My preference has always been to fluid that the motor can cope with in case some jackwagon trips over the rig and yanks one of you lines off and the bike sucks up the fluid. Just another measure of caution.

Last edited:
My preference has always been to fluid that the motor can cope with in case some jackwagon trips over the rig and yanks one of you lines off and the bike sucks up the fluid. Just another measure of caution.
not speaking from personal experience there are you jd?:laugh:

Lots of good info! Whenever I get my get my engine put back together, I'll ensure to look for and eliminate air leaks.

Haven't checked out the XS850 yet. It's being raining off and on all morning here in east TN.

It's given me a chance to service my 350 Yamaha Grizzly ATV.

not speaking from personal experience there are you jd?:laugh:

What makes you think THAT? :laugh: It's worse when you yourself are the jackwagon in question! :doh:

BTW Jayel, thanks for the wiring diagrams with color. Priceless over the last couple of weeks.

I have never sucked the fluid out of my vacuum gauges................
I don't want to talk about a mercury manometer I used ONCE!
I do remember playing with mercury as a kid. (twitch, twitch)
I am not fond of the XS triples, but had a bad experience once or three times with them.

Observations of 1980 XS850

Very good condition overall. Lots of power, engine sounds good.

Mikuni Carbs (not Hitachis). Owner and son apparently installed carb overhaul kit of some type.

New tires, new brakes (rear disc brake, dual disc front brakes), fuel tank and seat in excellent condition. Fairly new battery.

Issues (seemingly minor): When coming to a stop, the RPM's shot up and stayed up until I released clutch lever with bike in 1st gear to get going again. Some carb adjustment issue, throttle cable, etc. When starting, choke lever on left would not stay down and owner had to hold down till engine cranked. Turn signals would not remain on, owner said one had to keep it depressed, then switch it back to middle. Perhaps a corroded switch. IDK.

Twins rule, dude. Three, four, or even six is way more complexity than a motorcycle needs. Also consider the maintenance costs - 3, 4, or 6 of everything related to carbs and cylinders instead of just 2. And besides, that bike weighs a ton, it's Fat Albert on two wheels, lol.

Twins rule, dude. Three, four, or even six is way more complexity than a motorcycle needs. Also consider the maintenance costs - 3, 4, or 6 of everything related to carbs and cylinders instead of just 2. And besides, that bike weighs a ton, it's Fat Albert on two wheels, lol.

:) You got that right, 5twins! The bike is very heavy indeed.

I wonder if those carburetors came off of an XS750? I'm not an authority on this bike, but I was under the impression that all XS850 machines came equipped with Hitachi carburetors.

Here's a link to their forum:
Yamaha Triples Community

Hmm. Interesting. Sounds like Hitachi's may not be desireable anyway (per jd750ace) This could be a bargaining point....or a reason to walk away.

I've got the VIN, not sure whether this will help me get info or not. This bike has had at least two previous owners that I'm aware of.

Thanks.

I wonder if those carburetors came off of an XS750? I'm not an authority on this bike, but I was under the impression that all XS850 machines came equipped with Hitachi carburetors.

Here's a link to their forum:
Yamaha Triples Community

UPDATE:

Just got a call back from Yamaha Motor Corporation (Star guys) and they confirmed that this Model SG originally had Hitachi Carbs on it.

I also went to biker.net Parts Manual for a 1980 XS850 and see that Hitachi HSC34 Carbs are specified.

So, presumably, the carbs are from an XS750.

You nailed it, jetmechmarty !! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Hitachi_Carbs.jpg
    Hitachi_Carbs.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Back