Good test ride after crash

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
IMG_0901.JPG
Thanks to 2m, and kshansen, the bike looks new!
After the crash, i had used a cresent wrench to straighten out the shifter good enuf to get me 5 Miles home. Ran ok then. Nothing wierd going on, got it home, replaced the left turn stalk with one i had, and kshansen sent me a nice yellow lens . I hadnt put 2m's shifter on yet though. Rode it abit to make sure it was charging. Unclamped the trees and front wheel to straighten that all out. Then it sat for a few weeks.
I had heard of someone's pamco plate slipped and was advanving past the mark.
Ide better check....nope, no slip, but i did retard it a hair before the advance mark.
I tried to put the inductive clamp on my timing light on the left plug wire...no fire. Wth? Appears ide been running around without much spark in that pot. Pull the autolite ap63, its at .050. Duh.. i soda blasted it clean. Regapped a touch over .030. Checked the left, not as big but still cleaned it, re gapped at +.030. Gee, who knew? Lol. Got that sorted.
Did the dead cylider tune. These early 38's are touchy. Base setting at 3/4 isnt alot to play with, but I managed. Of course doing that screws up the sync on these dual throttle carbs. Contemplating going with a spare set of 77's meant for my go cart.(yes, 45 horse go cart) so i can use a single throttle cable.
Got them synced back together.
Started first kick. Rode the hood for 1/2 hour. Not a hiccup. Useable power without the surge im used to haveing. Prolly lugging that dead cylinder while in cruise mode. The bike gets up and goes!
Raced it up my drive and killed it for a plug chop. I only run non ethanol gas so im waiting for the plugs to cool off so i can check my tune.

IMG_0905.JPG Hand healed well
IMG_0904.JPG
the flash was on, so the porcelain looks brighter that it really is. And i didnt clean the rite plug as good as the left. Looks a tad lean to me. Also, should i go with a colder plug? The left ground strap looks a little hot. But, much improved. Theve been wet everytime i pull them. should i up the pilot one?

I don't think they're lean. White is right. White with melted aluminum on them is lean. I like them a little tan for some cushion.

Angus,
That scar on the back of your hand is a dead ringer for the one on my right knee! That is a nice looking 1972!

And to think even a small part of it was once part of this bike!

1972.jpg

Congratulations for getting back on the horse. Your bike looks good and I'm happy to hear you're healing well.
It's looking like you're in for a good summer!

The tach cable is a mikes xs. A tad longer than stock. The left plug is abit lighter, but not too white. Ill give er another burn today.

I'm guessing he's not far off, with a bit of oil use, valve seals?
guess the usual questions; throttle shaft seals and checking throttle shaft bushing wear, ESPECIALLY on "short bushing" early BS38s

Valve seals are of unknown age. But since the rite side wasn't fireing all the time, there is some burn off out the pipe.
Ive checked for air leaks around the throttle shafts, found none. With only 3800 miles on it, should still be good

With only 3800 miles on it, should still be good
And um oh 40+ years........... think ROCK HARD seals, both valve and throttle shaft. Hate to say it but riding behind the 79 Survivor Thursday, I know I need to put in intake valve seals. Was catching just a whiff of oil smell now and then, no smoke. Then we went down a steep hill and by the bottom it was smoking as high intake vacuum sucked oil past the seals. Spit happens. May get brave and try the "rope method" valve seal change. Carbs on that bike shold get throttle shaft seals too. One day will swap in a set of carbs I have that are done.

When I said the right side looks good, I meant the bike, not the plugs.

The left plug looks fine to me.
The right plug looks too dark at the base, and has dark around the center electrode. Something happening at idle...
Angus67-plugs.jpg

Back