Grease Ftgs.

justifiedman

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Am restoring my '75 XS650 to showroom. The grease ftgs. on it look to be brass. I needed and got one "NOS" for "my bike" online from Speed and... But it looks to be anodized black. Does anyone know if the brass are OEM and if so, where to get the Real McCoy.
Thanks

Manganese phosphate is a popular anti-corrosion coating for brass. Usually comes right off with phosphoric acid. It will dull the brass slightly, or you can just chuck up a home made nut in a drill press the fitting will thread into and work it off relatively easy with a scotch brite pad.

Sourcing some used ones should be pretty easy. Everybody changes those out because our standard grease guns don't fit them. Not sure how you're going to grease yours, lol.

I have a 1975, and if you are asking about the swingarm zerk fittings, then yes, they look to be brass. On my 1976 and all of my later bikes they are steel.

The original part # is 93700-06004-00, and that number never changed, it is the same for all years. If that's what came on the package, then you probably got the right part. My wild guess is that they changed the grease nipple from brass to steel in 1976 without updating the part number.
I don't know where the black paint or annodizing figures into this, I've never seen a black one.

Back