Grease guns...wtf...

joebgd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Why can't I get a grease gun to work. It seems like a simple thing, I don't need it allot so I get the one that takes the smaller tubes, I'm on at lest my second maybe third one. They work maybe one or two times then I have a wasted tube of grease and I'm cleaning it out of the gun. The plunger just goes right to the bottom. There is no resistance when I squeeze it and they plain just don't work for me. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated. Idk me and grease guns just don't work. Please help.

On some guns there is a bleeder screw to bleed the air if it gets air locked. some you need to remove the hose or stems bleed the air. I have had the same issue. They are always oozing something also. Not my favorite tool.

I think the main issue is with the accuracy of the M3A1 Grease gun. Initially, the Army thought it would be better than the M1A1 Thompson that it replaced. In reality no. And later version ramped down to 9mm from the .45 ACP did not really pan out either. However, when taken care of properly, the M3A1 Grease gun will serve its master well for many years (at close quarters).
M3a1.jpg

I like the smaller grease guns because if you have to clean one out there is, by virtue of its' size, less mess. In seldom used grease guns the grease in the gun tends to separate into liquids and solids. If you have the gun hanging up, right side up, the liquids gravitate to the bottom of the gun and the solids are now even more solid and tend to clog in the head. I relieve the pressure, hang my guns upside down, or lay them on their side and some of the problem goes away though they may still clog. With the little guns, I disassemble the gun as far as I dare and throw the head in a small tub of solvent for a day.
As for the M3A1, the only reason a person needs one of those is because they don't have a big dick.

In the machine shop today I've greased very high dollar "live tool motors" with this style gun tip and zerk combo.
Its just a mating taper system and not the common automotive ball style. It works so easily.
Just a firm straight push with the gun tip and a few squeezes of the pump handle.
None of the monkeying around with a poor fitting tip that also tries to get stuck on the zerk
20200707_083739.jpg

Attachments

• 20200707_083752.jpg
    20200707_083752.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 177
joebgd, I agree WTF. I finally paid enough to get a quality grease gun from NAPA. The other auto parts stores sell toys. I feel the same about the small grease guns. They're just toys.

And maybe someone can explain this: WTF is with the grease? How come after sitting for a couple of months all this liquid has dripped out of the open grease cartridge in my gun? Admittedly, I store my gun in an un-air conditioned space that reaches over 100 degrees in the summer time, but still, WTF? Every brand of grease cartridge I have ever bought has dripped liquid.

20200707_094910.jpg
20200707_095038.jpg

Look at this Yamada Japanese machine grease o_O
This stuff barely breaks down and drips and feels way better than automotive grease.
I've used it on my points cam and advanced rod. etc..
This shown sample has been in this cup for at least 2 years. As long as I've worked here. I'd guess more than 4 years by shop history.

Last edited:
I have an old can of 'Axle" grease about 40 years old. It has not separated out. I think the synthetic grease I use for the Can-am is the worst grease I've ever used. I like Moly.

Just a tip on the tip...
LockNLube - Best grease gun coupler ever. I have several zerks that require a hose to reach. Often I'd need three hands to hold the gun, pump the handle and make the tip stay on. :banghead: I found this thing and now it's all lollypops and cotton candy. :thumbsup:
LockNLube-Grease-Coupler-Spec-Sheet.jpg

Also on the site:
Priming a Grease Gun and Troubleshooting Air Pockets
I was going to buy one of those. It’s a pita when the gun tip keeps popping off of the zerk. I’ll Amazon that today!

Forgot to mention...
You need to keep in mind that the trigger needs space to operate. I have some spots that it's a tight fit. They also make one with a longer reach.

I didn't like the price. But out of frustration with the old tip I decided to buy one... Now that I have it, I'm glad I did.

Gentlemen
Not sure if it is of interest but I have one from the mid fifties early 60 ies
FVM.122110.jpg
Or perhaps even older
the front tip move in and out for the pumping action when you push at the handle
I have never thought that it could be jammed or stop working .It gets greasy / oily on the outside.
But thats the way it is I suspect ..
I Usually put it against a piece of plastic pumping twice before using it ---to see that something comes out
My father used it and I have used it since late 70 ies
Not " Malfunctioning " a single time. Mostly only for the Swing arm Bushing
Seems as Product development has gone backwards .. ( again ) Complicating matters to the unusable.
Keep it simple .....
Wouldn't that Pistol grip feel natural for USA Enthusiasts of all kind.
Laser sights on and it Would be a " hit " ---

I use one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Astro-101-Gr...=1&keywords=grease+gun&qid=1594657538&sr=8-90 Fits in the palm of your hand, works on any kind of grease fitting, metric or Imperial size. Also dandy for putting a little dab of grease where needed during assembly. I drilled/tapped a hole in the top of mine for a small grease fitting, re-fill it with my big grease gun, no buying cartridges, filling by hand or purging air needed.

View attachment 171295 View attachment 171296
Look at this Yamada Japanese machine grease o_O
This stuff barely breaks down and drips and feels way better than automotive grease.
I've used it on my points cam and advanced rod. etc..
This shown sample has been in this cup for at least 2 years. As long as I've worked here. I'd guess more than 4 years by shop history.
Wow that is impressive. Do you use that in a gun, on swing arm and alike?

That gun is at work dedicated to a Tsugami Swiss Style screw machine.
I'd like to own one but do not yet.
I actually have my 78E swingarm pivot out and being repaired today here. Faced off some hammer dents and need to tap the Zerk threads. I'm looking at the thread depth differences between Yamaha Zerks, vs NAPA Zerks
20200713_101745.jpg

Wish I had my own grease gun packed full of Lubriplate...

Back