Green Monster Coil Mounting. Airflow needed?

jcadwell

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Do the green monster coils need airflow? I'm hoping to mount them in a fake oil can that holds all my wiring... I PM'd PamcoPete without response thus far...

I would see how much it heated up just hanging there idling, and if it didn't heat up much, I'd go for it. You should be able to get an idea of it like that.

John,

What's even more important than air flow is to mount the coils with a clamp to the frame for heat dissipation. The 277 coils are only on for half the time as a a dual output coil in the standard setup so they do not get as hot, but a firm mounting to the frame is essential.

Guess I'll have to start working overtime so I can answer the Email! :shrug:

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to find a place on the frame for the coils... Any chance you could make a "black monster" in the future? Green just isn't my thing :)

The 277 kits Mike's sells are only available with the green coils. The ultimate coil is also dual output. I need two single output coils, and would prefer to use new equipment, rather than my 30 year old stock coils.

You can use any 3 ohm coil out there for future reference. I use Harley Coils on my rephase, it works perfectly. I'm like you, the green would have to go :D

Paint is too easy :) I was really just trying to hide ALL the wiring. Run the plug wires in the backbone, etc. I've gotten myself in deep with the XS I'm rebuilding...

Ya I'm thinking some black rattle can is in my "monsters" future.

The 277 kits Mike's sells are only available with the green coils. The ultimate coil is also dual output. I need two single output coils, and would prefer to use new equipment, rather than my 30 year old stock coils.

Would mounting the coils to the valve cover on the head be a bad idea?
I'm not running a top mount with my frame and I have some room under the tank..
I don't have much room and I'm trying to get away with mounting the coils is a good place
(mikes green monster coils x 2 for my 277 motor)

I'm running out of room, unless I mount them to the down tube or behind the steer tube where it's all open but I'm trying to keep it clean and hide them somewhere

You can use any 3 ohm coil out there for future reference. I use Harley Coils on my rephase, it works perfectly. I'm like you, the green would have to go :D

Hey Hugh,

You have any specific info on the coils you use, I have a shorted coil from Mikes and they're pretty much telling me they can't do anything about it. I'm beyond pissed off at them. :cussing: I just want this bike finished already!

Depends on the build, and how I need the coils to fit, but I almost always use Dyna Coils, and not these fugly "green turds" that are supplied by MikesXS. Dyna makes a solid product, and I've never had one fail... 3 Ohm is what you want, 2 of em :thumbsup:

Have ya looked at Spyke or Accel?

--I like Accel--always been good. More expensive--but--

My unprofessional opinion.

Back