Grey Blue side covers

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
A recent prize from a box of parts is this set of Special side covers. (The tank is another orphan that needs some bondo other side where a set of forks made room for themselves). Question is whether the side covers are a factory paint scheme or a later owner's efforts. If the former, was the tank all black or all grey?
EDIT: Looking harder at them in better light, the background colour is not dark blue, but black, sorry. The inside of the panels are black, but some scratches show either maroon undercoat or red oxide primer, that may negate the factory colour option.

Attachments

• SAM_2989.JPG
    SAM_2989.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
I'm not aware of any factory 2 tone paint jobs, at least in the States. Maybe some other markets got some. Those attachment knobs and their various bits are worth their weight in gold. Pure unobtanium.

Weren't even the early "special" side covers a different shape?
And those are the standard's shape.

He may have one of each there, lol. The one on the left looks more "square" like the Standard cover. The one on the right looks tapered like the Special cover. But, maybe it's just the picture angle that's misleading.

I think they are both "special" with an owner paint job the standards all have a raised panel inside the outline.

70 survivor 022.JPG

NOS LH side covor.JPG

Yeah that 2-tone in my shot is owner also.

Confirming no raised panel so they are a matched pair Special issue.

78SE/79SF/80G Side-covers. The maroon color inside could be from the 78SE Vintage Burgundy. On a cover i have the undercoat has a reddish orange colour.

Yea as far as i know their wasn't a 2 tone paint scheme

That's what caught my eye. I could see a grey tank with some black accents to go with it.

Back