grinding, stiff shifter pedal

builder

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Got a first one, 72- 306 motor with a grindingly stiff shifter pedal. wont go in gear thinking flip the motor on its head and split the lower case off.
1) access to transmission shifting forks or is it on the upper half ?
2) anyone had this problem and the fix for it ?
3) throw it in the rebuild pile ?

your experience and input would be appreciated

thanks in advance

You could pull both engine sidecovers, pull the clutch, and gain access to the shifting mechanisms.
Searching on 'shiftshaft' and 'starwheel' will yield some helpful threads...

first suspect would be a bent shift rod.. like 2many sez pull the LH side cover, what happens with the cover off? The shift rod can be replaced without splitting cases. Remove the e-clip and it goes out to the right. You may need to do bit of straightening first, or if it's really bad under the LH cover cut it off at the eclip before driving out the remains.

To answer you question, Yes, the transmission is accessible by taking the bottom of the engine off. I replaced mine without removing the top end. Of course popping the bottom half of the case requires removing the clutch so you might as well follow the others advice first.

Samgar

Yamaha's as a whole have been know for their shift star and shifting mech deficiencies. As they advised above pop the clutch cover off and take a peek.

I knew if I asked I could save pulling the motor out and splitting the casings! BTW Twomany xs1bs I need a seat any info on where I can find a decent replacement ?

Thanks Guys !

...BTW Twomany xs1bs I need a seat any info on where I can find a decent replacement ?

Egads! No, sorry, body parts are a hunter's item. Gotta search all the usual suspects, put up an ad, and wait for it, like catfishing. Heavily research your seat specs and requirements. Lotta helpful threads in here.

All we have out here is tractor seats, fence posts and 'bob' wire...

A lot of shifter problems can be fixed by properly adjusting the clutch. Follow the steps in the repair manual. At the point it says, "back off 1/4 turn" back off only about 1/8 turn. This tightens the clutch up and opens the pressure plate a bit more. This reduces clutch drag. This eases shifting.
Leo

Egads! No, sorry, body parts are a hunter's item. Gotta search all the usual suspects, put up an ad, and wait for it, like catfishing. Heavily research your seat specs and requirements. Lotta helpful threads in here.

All we have out here is tractor seats, fence posts and 'bob' wire...

Yeah since this bike is a culmination of unwanted damaged parts. I might just fab up a a cafe seat and make a nice period correct cafe racer the bike is a 71 but the motor is 72. I bought it off someone local whom had used all the good parts and made a bike of the remnants, thats what I bought. I have a soft spot for old bikes, this one needed a home a nd a makeover

A lot of shifter problems can be fixed by properly adjusting the clutch. Follow the steps in the repair manual. At the point it says, "back off 1/4 turn" back off only about 1/8 turn. This tightens the clutch up and opens the pressure plate a bit more. This reduces clutch drag. This eases shifting.
Leo
thanks! will do once I take a look at the right side guts

What the heck ? ok so check this out first time i seen it the shifter assembly was on the outside of the shifting star, thats the one thing I never seen the other there is a rubber looking washer between every metal disk in the clutch plates any one chime in on that its a 306 motor original equipment or ?

That's the way the '70-'73 clutches were, with rubber rings between the plates. Take a look at a parts diagram for one.

builder said:
What the heck ? ok so check this out first time i seen it the shifter assembly was on the outside of the shifting star, thats the one thing I never seen the other there is a rubber looking washer between every metal disk in the clutch plates any one chime in on that its a 306 motor original equipment or ?

There's a circlip and washer that retains the shiftshaft on the left side, below the sprocket. If missing or slipped-off, the shiftshaft can easily slide inboard, and the shift claw may pop off the 'star'.

The o-ring type rubber cushions are stock on 70-73 clutches. If upgrading to later '447' 7-disc clutch, these o-rings should be removed...

Back