Ground Up Recommendations

ljustman

First Time Bike Owner
Reaction score
Hello; I have had my 81 XS650 for a couple of years. I rode it pretty regularly in 2016, but just didn't get the opportunity enough this year. This is my first bike, and she has definitely been a bit neglected. I want to use the XS650 as a way to learn to work on things some too (with the help of a buddy who said he'd come by and make sure I don't screw anything up :lmao:). I'm looking for recommendations / links to help me get started.

I definitely want to:
- Put new tires on. Recommendations on what to get?
- Redo basically anything rubber.... I have a few things with minor leaks... some cracking... looking for tips on what I need and where to get it.
- New clutch/brake lines

Other help:

- Not sure if my brakes are due... they had plenty of stopping power the couple of times I got on the bike last year
- Tips on anything else that is common sense, because I am a total newbie?
- I need to get a jack to get the bike up off the ground for work and winter storage... recommendations on a solid one that doesn't brake the bank

Thanks in advance for any and all help with whichever of these points you can help out with!

Read this. It's as good a place as any to start. :) Put up some good detailed pics. It would be easier to judge condition. That way you'll get more pointers.

Go through this link.....http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-...p-manuals-and-other-information.30569/......I made this up for newbies. It has Links to Downloadable Manuals for all years, and is set up in a manual style with links to procedures, for maintenance set in the chapters...........EG; under the brakes chapter at the beginning there are several links to tutorials, there is one tutorial on how to bleed them, (this is a tutorial made by a member for the site), also drilling brake rotors. Have a look and you will see what i mean..........

Go through this link.....http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-...p-manuals-and-other-information.30569/......I made this up for newbies. It has Links to Downloadable Manuals for all years, and is set up in a manual style with links to procedures, for maintenance set in the chapters...........EG; under the brakes chapter at the beginning there are several links to tutorials, there is one tutorial on how to bleed them, (this is a tutorial made by a member for the site), also drilling brake rotors. Have a look and you will see what i mean..........
Error on the link-- try again for me please!

Read this. It's as good a place as any to start. :) Put up some good detailed pics. It would be easier to judge condition. That way you'll get more pointers.

Thanks! That looks like a good read for sure.

Pics, pics...more pics. Way easier to help point things out if you have them posted. :)
I'll get some pics up in the next couple of days. Messy garage all around it right now!

A couple of other details-- I DID pull the spark plug and put a new one in last spring. I also bought a new battery and it's mostly been sitting plugged into a tender all winter... thinking it should be good.

Back