Grounding "ignition switch" to handlebars?

Dansweeney

Danon the mound
Reaction score
I bought a 1980 xs last week and the fellow I got it from had removed the ignition and has a wire that connects a red and brown wire inside the headlight. My problem now is I have fire to the points but when you hit the starter with the plugs out, it only fires 1 spark from the plugs then nothing. Sometimes it fires when you let off the starter 1 time. Could it be a grounding problems. I've tried a different coil with the same results.

I ran into a similar problem when swapping bars but I had no juice to the starter at all. Are you needing to ground the keyed ignition switch or the on/off/start switch on the bars. I had to ground the switch on my bars, I ended up wedging a piece of copper wire in between the metal tab and the bars to get it to work. There is a metal tab that will face in towards your bar clamp on the on/off switch, it needs to be grounded to the bars.

You may have a bad plug wire. Try switching the wire from one to another and see if the problem follows.

The 80 model came with a TCI ignition no points. Must have been converted to points. It would be better to convert it to the pamco. A picture of the bike would help. Best to rewire the bike with a switch. You need to spend some time looking at some wiring diagrams.

Idk thats weird, u mean the key switch is moved so its just wired as if the key was on? The starter turns the mottor w no spark? Hows the battery? I know if its week its tough for it 2 handle elect start and everything else.

Posted via Mobile

Ok stock TCI ignition still needs to be wired properly. The TCI is voltage sensitive low voltage or Intermittent voltage and it wont work. Good grounds are a must. Wire in a key switch.

You need a switch in there of some sort. Without one the coil or coils will be "hot" or on all the time. Sitting like that while not running will eventually overheat and burn them out. Probably too late for yours. I imagine it's been wired and sitting that way for a long, long time. Besides buying a switch, you'll probably need to add coils to your shopping list, lol.

Back