Guessing Game

650Skull

Cockytoo
Top Contributor
Reaction score
ok.....any ideas...............
. crop IMG_8198.jpg

nice one 2m....this wouldn't have just been a Honda thing though would it?

Never seen one before till i went over to NZ, the guy where my bike is bought it out for me to check the floats on the my carbs....He said it was genuine Yamaha, kinda thought they would have had their name on it if it was........certainly makes for a quick and accurate job.....bloody sight easier than using a rule....

Should have run a sweep on who would be first........game might have lasted longer..lol.

My vote would have been an early combo-tool from the 1940s. Ruler, couple different sizes of carpenter squares, depth gauge, possibly a slide rule...

Hey, don't you guy's sleep ?????????????

Hadn't thought about it. I guess not.

...this wouldn't have just been a Honda thing though would it?

Dunno, Skull. Japan's business model is similar to ours. Factories sourcing from multiple independent suppliers. Things get relabeled, rebranded, repackaged. Like handlebar grips and batteries. Quite likely this appeared on other brands catalogs.

Edit: The instruction sheet looks generic, I don't recognize the carbs in the pictures. So, it's quite likely a repackaged tool, with Honda packaging and float card...

Last edited:
I bought that set recently and the tools look nice. I haven't used them yet but I'm sure they'll work just fine. I like the smooth wires used in the poker set. I normally don't poke passageways or jets clear, preferring compressed air, but if I had to, a smooth wire is what I'd want.

As far as the float level gauge goes, something to keep in mind is that these 650 carbs measure it off the gasket surface. There is a lip around the bottom of the carb body that sits probably a couple MM higher than that surface. This gauge is going to rest on that lip so the spec will need to be adjusted to compensate. Measure the height of the lip off the gasket surface and subtract that from the spec.

That lip is not a problem on BS34's. It doesn't go all the way around in fact the front and back the lip only goes past the corner a few mm from the sides, so plenty of room for the float adjustment tool to be used flat on the gasket...............

Defiantly a problem if it was being used on the 38's, haven't tried it but just looking i would say its a no go trying to measure of the gasket..........I agree, a consideration and adjustment has to be made if measuring off the lip, but with a + or - of 2.5 mm, (on brass floats bs38's), that 1 mm is still going to be within spec...........

Back