Guide to Buying - Get to Know your bike, a checklist for the condition of your find

Good Morning all. I am new to the site and looking at purchasing a XS650 soon. I have found one that I am interested in and have only seen photos of. When I asked of potential issues, the owner replied and said that it was "missing point system" and had been in a storage facility a couple years. The price is definitely right on the bike, I guess I am concerned with issues that could be tied to this and how expensive this could become. Just looking for opinions...

Any old bike is a risk. Cam chain guide is known problem..requires head removal, engine out to replace. Cam chain from lack of maint can need replacing engine out head off job. Carbs will need to be rebuilt. If you cant turn a wrench you need to learn quick. Either that or buy a new machine. Old bikes always cost money.

Just picked up an 81' xs650 a couple weeks back. I bought is as a 24th birthday present to myself.

Hasn't given me any problems. I watched the guy I brought it from have a bike shop mechanic service it.

So far, I'm thrilled with owning it. I get a lot of head turns and thumbs up.

-N

Back