Guitar recommendation...

TeeCat

One-Mik Wonder
Reaction score
Hello, all. :)

I know there were some guitar players over at 650R before it's untimely displacement/demise... not sure if they're here yet, save for Mark, perhaps.

Anyway, this is about one of the acoustic guitar world's best kept secrets that I discovered accidentally. After six years of teaching myself guitar, I still struggle with it, and have too many guitars for my skill level, many of which are Chinese-built, but consistently impeccable in workmanship. I was looking for an inexpensive but robust acoustic that would tolerate alternate tunings well, and happened upon a factory second that fit the bill. I went over it with a fine comb and can't discern why it's a second, but I wanted to let guitarists here know to give a very, very, VERY close look at Michael Kelly acoustics. I played two of them in the shop, and the build quality and tone were identical. Choosing was a point and shoot. I had heard that they are consistent. I don't feel that this is accidental. Whoever built this instrument was proud of it. I have a Larrivee - which I love, by the way - that doesn't have a fret job like this MK.

It's a Michael Kelly V(Visionary) 45. This is not my specific guitar, but you get the idea. These pics don't do it justice, really. One of the best features is the adjustable action, which works like a charm. I put Elixir Nanos on and the voice is just unreal. This instrument is flawless. I picked it up for $250.00. :eek:

Just thought I'd tip you all off. MKs are serious guitars.

TC

Last edited:
its very nice looking. Enjoy!
I used to play long ago.
Am really unaware of what guitars are out there now and what people are liking nowadays. When I used to play it was Martin Martin Martin or Martin CLONE, etc. ANd if you had an old Gibson it was kind of frowned upon and poo-poo'ed. (LOL is that a word?)
But I always loved the funky old Gibsons, so I got a great deal on one wayyyyyyyy back in 1976 when I was 16 and my Dad would not allow me to buy this blue 66 Mustang convertible that I wanted. arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! He made me buy this awful white Rambler from an old lady he knew and I had $100 left over.
So I gave $100 plus an old Hofner I had (not a desireable model) for a 1959 Gibson Country and Western model with a tweed case.
Still got it, though it doesn't get played much.
But NOW I see lots of people, BIG names onstage with the old Gibsons that look just like it...so its pretty cool. I'm honored to own it.
But I guess its still mostly an accompaniment type of instrument.....I guess the virtuoso solo players probably still go for something else...dunno.

Sure hope you enjoy your new box.
:)

Hey TeeCat...now that the snow is a melting, I am getting back into motorcycles. Started building an electric over the winter, then bought a house and haven't quite finished. Flame maple hollow body with washed blue dye finish, and a raw rosewood neck

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

But as for acoustics, the best I have found for a reasonable price, is the Silvercreek T-170. The sides and back are solid rosewood with a solid spruce top. Awesome mahogany V-neck. 000-Auditorium size. Plays AWESOME! Feels much like an EC-Martin. I bought mine onsale thru musicians friend for $199 shipped

SilverCreek.jpg

Acoustic_back.jpg

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Silver-Creek-T170-Solid-SpruceRosewood-Auditorium-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512728

That's awesome man! When you say you built it, you mean from a kit or from scratch? Got a thread anywhere on the build? Looks almost as good as your cafe! :cheers:

MN, you got SKILLS, man! I'd like to hear more on your guitar project as well!

As to your Silvercreek, I looked at those and they're sweet! At that time, I ended up getting a Recording King 000-body which, also, feels and sounds much like an 000 Martin. It's a really flawless little guitar.

I wish I could take credit for making the body and neck myself, but they were built by Warmoth to my specifications. I picked each wood, routered hole, color, fret, nut, everything. I've always lusted for a PRS Modern Eagle II guitar, but with a price tag of $4500, I knew that was not happening. That and why spend that much for a guitar that someone else in the world has also! LOL. The Body is a Warmoth VIP cut...the neck is a 10"-16" compound radius with a '59 round back profile. Nice and fat. The raw rosewood feels AMAZING! I bought a set of gold Rio Grande TX/BBQ humbuckers, and I am wiring them with push/pull pots for coil splitting. The tuners are Grover roto-locking tuners. I can't wait to get it finished up (just have to finish the wiring) but it seems like things keep getting in my way =(

Here is the warmoth site...if you haven't ever heard of them, check them out. They can make some wild stuff!

http://www.warmoth.com/default.aspx

Back