1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Had to share this one!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bosco659, Nov 20, 2020.

1. bosco659

bosco659 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

2. DoubleE

DoubleE life behind bars

3. Raymond

Raymond XS650 rider, fettler, setting out on a journey XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Ah guess some folks needin' their gums welded up?

Boog, Mailman, gggGary and 1 other person like this.
  4. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

Probably too much oil on the chain if its slipping. Try replacing the sprocket with a disc. A disc approximates an infinite number of teeth so starting off on hills is much easier.

5. bosco659

Maybe grind off the welds and turn the sprocket around the other way. Might have more “bite”.

Boog, Mailman, Raymond and 3 others like this.
  6. DogBunny

DogBunny Motorcychologist Top Contributor

The slippage may be due to the owner using automotive oil. You have to use motorcycle-specific oil. Automotive oil contains friction modifiers that are inappropriate for motorcycles.

Paul Sutton, Boog, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  7. motormike

motormike XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Mpls
    This is why they invented ..wall... pole.. blindfold... cigarette ... etc etc etc

8. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

He's got a welder, just build up some teeth......;)
    I broke a tooth off a reverse gear in an old chevy three speed. Took it apart. built up a tooth with 6013 rod in a stick welder shaped it with a die grinder, reinstalled. Car went to the crusher with a working reverse gear.

lakeview, cra-z1, buzzword and 4 others like this.
  9. designbum

designbum XS650 Enthusiast

Another good reason working on old bikes is such fun...Wish I had a welder.

Paul Sutton, Boog and gggGary like this.
  10. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Jus' weld the chain to the sprocket. It won't slip then... :smoke:

11. Raymond

Raymond XS650 rider, fettler, setting out on a journey XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Plus, a lot safer. For all road users.

Paul Sutton, gggGary and Jim like this.
  12. designbum

designbum XS650 Enthusiast

If I did that wouldn’t I need a bearing on the shaft so it would turn. I could weld the chain to the sprocket to the bearing and then watch the shaft go round, otherwise it would be difficult to kick over.

Paul Sutton, gggGary and Jim like this.
  13. mike in idaho

mike in idaho XS650 Enthusiast

Reminds me of the 250 Honda scrambler that came into our shop because "the transmission is out, I had to get the rear chain really tight to get it to move". When I pulled the right side cover off, to start pulling the engine, here was this aluminum front sprocket worn perfectly round surrounded by aluminum shavings.

14. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie

Idaho
    We have all seen stuff like this, but that takes the cake. Im working on a nightmare Z1900 with broken things all over the engine.

Jim and gggGary like this.
  15. bosco659

I think I saw this on a Facebook group “Machinery Addicts”. There’s crazy stuff like this all the time. I screen shot it rather than sharing a link.

Raymond, lakeview and gggGary like this.
  16. motormike

motormike XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Mpls
    Years ago.. I worked at a cycle boneyard.... a fellow came in with one of those big Kaw 750 twins. Said he wanted to sell it.. " tranny shot ".. he fires it up.. puts it in gear and the bottom end sounded like it was come'n apart. So.. we tossed him $50.oo, next day I get it on the lift.. going to swap a known good engine for the bad tranny engine... I pull the chain side cover off the engine... ? ! the nut that held the sprocket came off and the sprocket slid off and was ride'n on the treads.. this was the source of the noise.... I put the sprocket back in place... chased the treads... new nut... next day on the floor for sale.

lakeview, Paul Sutton and gggGary like this.
  17. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi bosco,
    I got one of those. except it's PO didn't have a welder.
    Came on a VF750 F Honda I told my son not to buy but did he listen?
    Seller told him "You gotta keep the chain tight, eh?"
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Paul Sutton, gggGary and GLJ like this.
  18. bosco659

That would be like a torque limiting clutch. Pour on a bit too much power and it skips and slips. From the even wear I wonder if the po kept flipping it around?

GLJ likes this.
  19. JRay77

JRay77 XS650 Addict

I just did some shady risky stuff the other day. I made a Lexan cover, used some black RTV to seal a motor shut. Steel shot blasted a lower crank case (engine whole with studs) C5A4A4A3-E19E-40FF-A270-BEE043A75692.jpeg

Paul Sutton likes this.
  20. bosco659

Turned out nice.

Paul Sutton and JRay77 like this.