Halco Ascot

XsTony

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Following on from my post Bought the kit in 1999 after a test ride on one of the prototypes. After a 45 minute run I knew I had to have one ! Mine was the first off the production line and one of 10 frames commissioned inc the two prototypes I know of two others in existence. I believe one of them even reached Florida !! After starting with an 840 cc engine ( which was hard work to start !) I changed to a standard 650 which was a bit too slow for me I spoke to the guy at Anderson Robinson street trackers in New York he advised me to try a J&E 700 cc big bore kit and Megacycle 250/30 cam combination So that was my next step and my god did it shift after that. Since then the engine has been rebuilt and existing spec includes - 750 big bore kit (10:1) , mega cycle 250/30 cam shaft , Barnett clutch, Kedo elephant foot tappet adjusters , engine porting work by Norman White, xj650 oil cooler, smedspeed spin on oil filter conversion kit ,
Beyond the engine, I ve also changed to mikuni vm34 carburettors, ram air foam filters , custom built stainless free flowing silencers.( 1 5/8 inch)
Chassis wise I run fully adjustable GP 20 cartridges in the front forks supplied by Maxtons engineering ( great company highly recommend ) and Maxton t260 twin shocks on the back - these alone make the bike handle absolutely brilliantly.
Tyre wise I ve chosen Avon Roadrider mk2 front and rear which are a great tyre for this type of bike.
Brakes’ standard drum on the back and Brembo four pot calliper on the front with floating disc, this bike now stops as good as it goes
Since modifying the weight is now 191kg. - quite a bit lighter than the standard xs.
To sum it up it runs sooo smooth, it shakes at tickover but as soon as pulling away that disappears allowing a steady cruise with less vibration than my modern bike
Overall I ve had this bike in various guises since 1992, it’s a money pit but I love it !

Attachments

• 6A92C1C7-524E-4730-B70E-6211E4B8E3D0.jpeg
    6A92C1C7-524E-4730-B70E-6211E4B8E3D0.jpeg
    587.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 47F8619A-DBA2-4867-8A6A-C539FD781FC5.jpeg
    47F8619A-DBA2-4867-8A6A-C539FD781FC5.jpeg
    511.7 KB · Views: 184
Following on from my post Bought the kit in 1999 after a test ride on one of the prototypes. After a 45 minute run I knew I had to have one ! Mine was the first off the production line and one of 10 frames commissioned inc the two prototypes I know of two others in existence. I believe one of them even reached Florida !! After starting with an 840 cc engine ( which was hard work to start !) I changed to a standard 650 which was a bit too slow for me I spoke to the guy at Anderson Robinson street trackers in New York he advised me to try a J&E 700 cc big bore kit and Megacycle 250/30 cam combination So that was my next step and my god did it shift after that. Since then the engine has been rebuilt and existing spec includes - 750 big bore kit (10:1) , mega cycle 250/30 cam shaft , Barnett clutch, Kedo elephant foot tappet adjusters , engine porting work by Norman White, xj650 oil cooler, smedspeed spin on oil filter conversion kit ,
Beyond the engine, I ve also changed to mikuni vm34 carburettors, ram air foam filters , custom built stainless free flowing silencers.( 1 5/8 inch)
Chassis wise I run fully adjustable GP 20 cartridges in the front forks supplied by Maxtons engineering ( great company highly recommend ) and Maxton t260 twin shocks on the back - these alone make the bike handle absolutely brilliantly.
Tyre wise I ve chosen Avon Roadrider mk2 front and rear which are a great tyre for this type of bike.
Brakes’ standard drum on the back and Brembo four pot calliper on the front with floating disc, this bike now stops as good as it goes
Since modifying the weight is now 191kg. - quite a bit lighter than the standard xs.
To sum it up it runs sooo smooth, it shakes at tickover but as soon as pulling away that disappears allowing a steady cruise with less vibration than my modern bike
Overall I ve had this bike in various guises since 1992, it’s a money pit but I love it !
Awesome looking bike and story. Congrats! I’ll never grow tired of that paint scheme.

Great looking bike Tony. And an interesting development build. The big bore kit interests me and I’d love more info on how you achieved that.
Ads.:devil:

I lusted after that frame back in the early '90s, but lacked the cash. Now the frame is being produced again, I have the cash, but old age has eroded my skills to the point that the improved handling would be wasted on me. That frame is done right, with the high and heavy camshaft tilted forward to sit lower. I'd guess that if steering isn't dead-on linear, it's close enough as makes no difference. Congrats, Tony, you've built a real gem.

Hi Jim,
The first pic is the front engine Mount which sits on the two m8 crankcase mounting bolts at the front.
Second pic is of the rear engine Mount this is the only Mount that is actually bolted to the frame with one m8 bolt,
Third pic is the top engine Mount which is smaller than the front and rear, you can just about make it out behind the coils.
Last pic is of the rear engine plates that the swinging arm mounts to.
To sum it all up the swinging arm is bolted to the back of the engine and pivots on the rear engine plates,
It is very much like a Norton commando set up with the engine completely isolated from the frame.
The rear Mount has a machined metal block and is shimmed so the engine can move up and down and back and forth but not too much sideways which would upset the handling.

Attachments

• 91BEF4A7-A00C-4036-8F6F-123F89207F10.jpeg
    91BEF4A7-A00C-4036-8F6F-123F89207F10.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 159
  • BA5465DD-178F-4F45-A8E1-714CF7E6D42A.jpeg
    BA5465DD-178F-4F45-A8E1-714CF7E6D42A.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 150
  • 8273568C-B087-439F-BC9F-757418C76C61.jpeg
    8273568C-B087-439F-BC9F-757418C76C61.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 1EF494A8-5A7E-488D-93B2-D6ABC1DEA7D6.jpeg
    1EF494A8-5A7E-488D-93B2-D6ABC1DEA7D6.jpeg