Halo Switches for Turn Signals

VladTheDrumpaler

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up a halo switch bank for toggling turn signals and horn. The stock switch from MikesXS was pretty bulky and I wanted something more low profile. Sadly, the switch was assembled in China... I can't trust their wiring diagram. I've pulled one of the switches out of the housing and matched it up with a diagram I found on Google. Does anybody have experience with these? It has two latching switches that I'll use for turn signals and one momentary switch that I'll use for the horn.

Attachments

• 5 pin Halo Switch.jpg
    5 pin Halo Switch.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 363
  • 3x Halo Switch.jpg
    3x Halo Switch.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 117
The best way to figure out what's going on inside a complicated switch can be to figure out the state for each pin for each switch position using an ohmmeter, and write out a truth table (if it's that complicated). The diagram you posted doesn't tell a lot. Can you post the diagram that goes with it? Made in China isn't necessarily bad; most of the stuff in this chain from you to me is Chinese...

I think it means it lights up in a circle (halo) around the edge of the button. Chances are it's designed for an application like this. If there are wires coming out of it, I'd take it apart and reinforce against vibration where they solder on with shoe goo.

Hi Vlad,
OK, WTF is a HALO switch? Seems your use of the term was not to do with paratrooper drops.
Acronymic nitpicking aside, do you reckon those switches can handle the Amperage needed to work flashers or a horn?
Or are there relays in your bike's future?
Halo switches are what XJWMX said. They are aluminum buttons, momentary or manual reset, that have a circle in the middle that lights up when you press them. They look pretty cool at night. I took them apart and traced the wires. They are rated for turn signals and horns. My signals are LED strips so they will definitely be able to carry the load. I will absolutely be reinforcing them for the vibration. I did a couple of test rides today and I already see spots where semi-permanent thread locker could be of use.

Back