Handlebar Controls

MikeC23

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm looking to replace the handlebar controls (left and right) on my 79 special. Has anyone come across any reasonably priced replacements? They don't have to look stock by any means.

Something here may catch your eye. Someone recently posted about the chrome set. Don't remember enough to link you to that though.

Hi Mike,
least cost for new stuff is MikesXS.
If buying new ain't in your budget, try your local bike breaker or put a want ad in this list's classifieds.

Are they broken?
Are you looking for functions that aren't there?
Are you just sick of the way they look?

A $5 can of spraypaing and an afternoon taking apart, sanding and painting them would make them look great if they are just showing their age.

I was looking to maintain the stock functions but would like something a smidge less bulky. I really like how well the original ones are made. Also, my electric start button stopped working (still soldered, might be a dirty contact) so right now it's only kick start.

I looked into others for that same reason. My journey actually made me like the stock controls and how solid and easy to work on they are. I tried some cheap amazon ones because I needed a light switch temporarily for instance. You gotta pay to play, if you want well made and smaller you'll be paying more than you would for new replacements from Mikes XS.

Did you check for ground at the handlebars? My electric start stopped working after I removed my rototiller handlebars and put painted tracker bars on there. I ran a ghetto ground wire from the mounting screw down to the headlight to verify and once I did, I sanded down a bare spot for it.

Yep! Alll grounded properly. Even sanded the bars. It's something mechanical that is wrong with it, I believe. I will probably take advantage of the Western Pa winter and just make the ones I have really nice.

I was looking to maintain the stock functions but would like something a smidge less bulky. I really like how well the original ones are made. Also, my electric start button stopped working (still soldered, might be a dirty contact) so right now it's only kick start.

Check your starter safety relay (SSR) - under the right hand sidecover. It looks like a little voltage regulator and if it is clogged up with crap inside - your starter will not work. I posted a little note on how to check it and clean it (15 minute job - no fancy tools or skill required). In the meantime, here are two checks to make and NOTE: before and during these tests - MAKE SURE that the bike is in neutral and have an assistant pull in the clutch lever;:

1) Does your horn work?
If yes - then your handlebar is grounded properly and so that eliminates a potential issue (the circuit for the both the horn and the starter is completed through the grounded handlebar).
If no - then check the starter button itself - if it is clean then go to check #2).

2) Check the solenoid which is located under the right hand sidecover:
Take a good sized piece of wire and momentarily connect across the two big terminals on the solenoid.
- if the engine cranks, then the starter motor is OK and your problem is either the solenoid or the SSR;
- if the engine does not crank then you may have a bad starter motor - or a bad SSR;

Now just follow the instructions in the note on cleaning the SSR - and once you've done that - you'll likely be OK.

Pete

The RH and LH handlebar switches sold by MikesXS seem fine to me and are about half the cost of the NOS unit listed on eBay.

Back