handlebar holder damper

marp68

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
During my first ride this season I notices that the handlebar holder damper seemed a bit loose. I tried to tighten them, but it seems there is a stop. Does this mean that the damper rubber is worn out? Didn't notice this last year. From outside it looks like the original ones have been changed at some stage.

Haven't removed them yet, but was thinking that perhaps I could make them swollow a bit by soaking them in, for example, brake fluid.

Any suggestions?

At babbittsonline it's the part 256-23434-01-00 (nr. 20)

http://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004193cf8700209bc78535d/steering-tx650a-xs650b-c

/M

I think I understand now. The stop is where I run out of threads. And by adding some washers, I will be able to tight then further forcing the rubber to expand more. Right?

Thanks for the tip ☺

You are probably right that they are beginning to wear out. I don't think, at this stage, there is any safety problem though, since it's barely noticable. As long it's tight mounted and the rubber is whole, I can't see the danger, just that the damping might not be as good if the rubber is harder. But if they start to come loose more, then of course it effects the bolt/nut and steering. I also saw that there are a safety pin (or what they are called) in the bolt nut.

Thanks for input. It really made me think about "safety first". And I will unmount them the coming weekend to inspect them. Will let you know.

So, I unmounted them and the rubber looks good. Except that it just maybe is one mm to small. I added a thin washer between the upper metal bolt stop section and the upper wide washer. I wanted to keep the broad pressure from the wider washer. That did it. I think that the rubber must have been a bad aftermarket part.

Hi Marp,
yours ain't toast, they are just a bit tired.
Properly placed steel washers will firm them up just fine.
The limit to the washer preload is when the rubbers are so spaced out that the retaining nut can't be started on the bolt.
Note that there's aftermarket replacements for the rubber spacers that are made from aluminum barstock.
No more vague steering with those guys but the vibrations will shake your fillings loose.

Just to parrot what others have mentioned, washers will squeeze the rubber and tighten the handle bar mounts.I want you to understand, the washers diameter must be small enough that they don't foul on the triple.

Tom

Yep. Even with new dampers the bars feel sloppier than I like, and one of the first things I do with an old XS is to give the dampers a squeeze with washers. I've never seen a set of rubber dampers that was too far gone to respond to this treatment. That's no bad, unusable dampers. On a whole buncha bikes. Not even one. Zip. Zero. Nada.

During my first ride this season I notices that the handlebar holder damper seemed a bit loose. I tried to tighten them, but it seems there is a stop. Does this mean that the damper rubber is worn out? Didn't notice this last year. From outside it looks like the original ones have been changed at some stage.

Haven't removed them yet, but was thinking that perhaps I could make them swollow a bit by soaking them in, for example, brake fluid.

Any suggestions?

At babbittsonline it's the part 256-23434-01-00 (nr. 20)

http://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004193cf8700209bc78535d/steering-tx650a-xs650b-c

/M
The price is right on those but the shipping to MN is $19.35 What a ripoff Any ides of where to get them where the shipping isn't so crazy I may have to try Ebay

Follow the advice of grizld1 and be done with it.
There are 1 fender washer on the top so put a washer on the bottom or are you saying add a extra washer on the top and or the bottom?

Did you try Partzilla? Many of us get our parts there. Build your order up to $149 or more and shipping is free .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=9ed552125a3bb732f476f6a34f2c5803cc4d1ec4

For a shim washer to do any good, it must be placed on the larger diameter shank of the handlebar mounts, not on the bottom smaller diameter threaded portion. The hole in the shim washer must match washer #20, not washer #22 below. It can be placed in either of the spots indicated by the red arrows but in between the two #19 rubber dampers is the preferred spot (lower red arrow).....

CEjb4DQ.jpg

The price is right on those but the shipping to MN is $19.35 What a ripoff Any ides of where to get them where the shipping isn't so crazy I may have to try Ebay
I really don't need a $149.00 in parts (I know I will always need parts!! )just can't think of many that I need right now
Maybe I just need to give the bike a good look over and maybe I will find enough parts to replace to get to that dollar amount
Also thanks for giving heads up on where to put the washer(s)!! Great diagram!!
Looks like there is and an additional washer on top # 20 (between 20 and 16)which looks to large It's time to take it apart and see what I have
Thanks again to ALL of you I'm not a mechanic but I can bolt and unbolt and replace if I take it easy and take pictures (just no engine work for me)

Last edited:
There are 1 fender washer on the top so put a washer on the bottom or are you saying add a extra washer on the top and or the bottom?
Yes. Put an extra fender washer on the top and on the bottom. If it doesn’t work, put two on the top and on the bottom. Once you squash it far enough, it will feel fine.

Take the advice of grizld1 and 5twins. You’ll be time and money ahead.

I tried looking up the part numbers for the rubber handlebar dampers for my ‘76. For some reason, the ‘76 parts listing on Partzilla is missing many categories of parts. So I searched for 75 &’77 part numbers and they are different. Anyone know if my ‘76 would use ‘75 or ‘77 damper rubbers? Thx.

Back