Handlebar Switch Wiring Question

79josh81

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Have any of you guys wired in and used this Moto Iron universal switch on your xs650's?

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/unive...for-7-8-bars-hi-lo-beam-turn-signal-horn.html

The reason I ask is that I would like to "unclutter" the handlebars of the larger stock switches. I was throwing around the idea of installing an after market throttle (with no switches) on the right side with a slimmed down front brake master cylinder. Then on the left side of the handlebars, I wanted to get rid of the large stock head lamp/turn signal switch and install the above switch and use the (horn) button on the switch for the bike's kill switch. Have any of you guys done this, and if not, are any of you electrically inclined enough to figure out what wires would need to go to where in order for me to be able to wire it into the 1979 xs650 stock wiring? I know some of you guys are electrical genius's with the xs650 and me...well....not so much yet.

79-xs650sf-2f.jpg

79-xs650sf-2f-key.jpg

I obviously understand that I wouldn't be able to use my electric start with this set up and I'm ok with that.

I don't think that the horn button would work too well for a kill switch. A push button switch like that would work very well for causing nice loud backfires though. What could you possibly have against the stock control. It's really no more bulky than the control that you've shown. And the original control has a nice contoured retro shape, paintable, powder coat, any color, even chrome. The control from TC Bros has a sharp edged shape, kinda strange on an old bike.

Scott

A little background.... pushbutton switches can be NO or NC.... normally open or normally closed. A kill switch is NC so that power flows to the iggy system. You kill the engine by opening that switch and killing power to it. The horn switch is NO for obvious reasons.... you only want it to bleat when you press the button. You could use the horn switch as a kill switch, but every time you let go of it, the engine would... well, die. Make sure your helmet's cinched up before you start the bike.... ;)

The horn switch is NO for obvious reasons....

I obviously did not put a whole lot of thought into the way that switches work before asking that question. I feel like an idiot now. lol

What could you possibly have against the stock control.
Scott

I think maybe the painting route might be the way the to go then. The stock kill switch just looks like shit from all of the brake fluid that's leaked all over it over the years and thought maybe there was a way to get rid of it with still having a way to kill the engine at the handlebars somehow.

Back