Handlebars

Tim Meaders

Not just another Old man on a Harley!
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Back in 78 I bought a 73 TX650, wish I had a better picture but I wanted everyone to see handle bars,
they are worse that the normal rototiller bars on the Specials. Combined with the rubber mounts these
were by far the worst bars I've ever endured on a motorcycle. Alas I was 19 years and couldn't afford to
even consider changing them. Also note the Vetter-III, I had no idea back then that it was reason the bike
performed like a sick dog over 60mph. The only advantage I guess is that the highway speed limit was
only 55 back in the day.(they still sucked), I got rid of the bike not knowing then what I know now, such is life.

Anyone else ever owned these horrible death teasing handlebars? Their like rototillers on steroids.

Tim M.
1973 TX650.png

So with your arms up so high a WindJammer is effective at keeping bees out of your armpits?

Even worse since the handle bar ends were designed so you were holding the grips with your hands almost straight in front of you. Instead of you hands facing down your palms were sideways facing each other. The fastest I ever took it up to was almost 80. It scared me so bad I never did that again.

...Anyone else ever owned these horrible death teasing handlebars?

Installed a few of those back in the day.

Major pain.
They came undrilled. Had to figure out where the customer wanted his levers, then drill indexing and wiring holes for the controls. Extend wiring, thread it in. Extended clutch cable, extended brake hose. Try to get the front brake to work at the new angle.

2 weeks later: "Let's try something else"...

Back