Happens Every Time

ReycleBill

Part Time Tyrannicide
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So today, after putting copper fuel lines on everyone else's motorcycle, I decided today was the day I would put the copper fuel lines on my bike. One of the fittings coming out of the aftermarket petcock needed to be tightened so I decided to start there. Oops! Broke the fitting.

I spent most of the day driving around Greensboro looking for a M7-1.00 brass fitting. The closest I came was a M7 stainless steel bolt. When my brother got home from work we put our heads together, made a jig and drilled a tiny hole down the center of the bolt. Donny wrapped the bolt with yellow Teflon tape rated for gas and I twisted it into the petcock. By then it was too dark to continue.

Every time I get ready for a trip I go through a last minute repair/breakdown or other problem. Hopefully this will be the only one. I'll have the fuel lines ready tomorrow and will change oil and filter, check the chain, lube, tires, etc...

I'm going motorcycle camping this weekend if I have to push the damned thing up the mountain.

For those who would like to know how we managed to drill a hole straight through the center of a tiny 7 millimeter bolt, I'll explain how we did it.

We began by finding a flat piece of 1/4" steel bar long enough to span the table of my drill press.

We drilled and tapped a hole in the steel bar and threaded the bolt all the way into the hole. If you don't have a 7mm tap you could probably get away with tightening a nut on the bottom side of the steel bar.

Then we centered the head of the bolt on the drill press and clamped both ends of the bar to the table.

Slowly drill the bolt with a tiny drill bit and cutting oil.

I'm thinking this might also work for those pesky 6mm vacuum barbs but gggGary's grease fitting trick is probably easier. Problem for me was that grease fittings only come in 6,8 and 10s and I needed a 7.

Back