Happy Pancake Day to all our readers

Raymond

likes to play with old motorbikes
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
That's right - this year, Shove Tuesday falls today, 13th February.

For them as might not be aware of this important day on the British calendar, a brief into.

Shrove Tuesday, aka Pancake Day, is a British tradition dating from Medieval times. Being Medieval, there is of course a religious background to the celebration - Shrove Tuesday is the last day before Ash Wednesday. And Ash Wednesday marks the start of Lent when religious people would start forty days of fasting ahead of Easter.

With the prospect of a 40-day fast, Shrove Tuesday is an occasion for feasting. And that has come to mean mixing eggs, milk, flour and making a feast of pancakes. As a child, me Mum would make a huge bowl of batter, get the griddle good and hot, and makes us fresh, hot pancakes until we could eat no more. I still have the selfsame griddle but it won't be pressed into use today - we're off to Glasgow for a show tonight.

But if you are looking for inspiration for your meal tonight, you could bear in mind, there's no better day to opt for pancakes.

Happy Pancake Day!

On another thread, @jetmechmarty has reminded me that our Shrove Tuesday is known to Francophones as Mardi Gras. I would be very interested to hear how Mardi Gras is marked, whether there is feasting, what are the traditional feast foods to guzzle before Lent?

I went to Mardi Gras ages ago Raymond. I was just there for the drinkin' and merriment though... so not much help am I.... :whistle:

1707924973165.png

On another thread, @jetmechmarty has reminded me that our Shrove Tuesday is known to Francophones as Mardi Gras. I would be very interested to hear how Mardi Gras is marked, whether there is feasting, what are the traditional feast foods to guzzle before Lent?
In Canada, yesterday is also known as Shrove Tuesday but many also call it "Pancake Tuesday" - except in the Francophone locales where I think it is called Mardi-gras (which, as noted above means "Fat Tuesday).

It is traditional to have pancakes for dinner on this day...but I prefer steak.

Oh well.

P

Attachments

• IMG_3367.jpeg
    IMG_3367.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3371.jpeg
    IMG_3371.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3372.jpeg
    IMG_3372.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 37