Harbor Frt blast cabinet conversion and using SS media.

cra-z1

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have posted about using .014 SS blast material before but this will give a little bit more info on what I have done. I use the SS media because it creates no dust (silica) and lasts a very long time. Here are the conversions I have done to my cabinet for a better work environment. Starting with a basic HF blast unit I converted the plastic shield to a glass shield which stays much clearer. I installed threaded inserts on the cabinet which allows you to remove the screws from the top. I noticed that the door frame catches alot of media. When you open up the door there is a ledge on the bottom which I bent all the way over. Then taped all those holes on the door. I converted the original air intake on the cabinet to the vac port. You need to cover the top of this in some way. Then I converted the vac hole to an air intake. You need to make a cover. The bottom gets converted to a bottom pickup supplied by Tacoma Co, alonf with a foot pedal feed and gun. I used expanded metal for the tray. It all gets hooked up to a HF Vac system with a homemade separator which is located in my buffing room ( note the switch to the left of the cabinet to turn on the vac system). There is more info if you go to this thread from last year
http://www.xs650.com/threads/to-blast-or-not-to-blast.51476/

Attachments

• glass conversion copy.jpg
    glass conversion copy.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 163
  • door mod 1 copy.jpg
    door mod 1 copy.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 132
  • inside cab air intake copy.jpg
    inside cab air intake copy.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 141
  • air intake 1 copy.jpg
    air intake 1 copy.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 135
  • expanded cab bottom copy.jpg
    expanded cab bottom copy.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 128
  • suction and air hose copy.jpg
    suction and air hose copy.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 153
  • vac system 1 copy.jpg
    vac system 1 copy.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 132
  • vac on cabinet copy.jpg
    vac on cabinet copy.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 140
  • tacoma conversion copy.jpg
    tacoma conversion copy.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 132
  • air pressure reg copy.jpg
    air pressure reg copy.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 109
  • vac port upgrade.jpg
    vac port upgrade.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Very nice work on that cabinet, and you also have a dedicated buffing room? Man! I gotta step up my game! :laugh2:
Years ago I decided that if im going to do any amount of polishing i needed to seperate it from the rest of the shop. In my last garage I built a 4x4 room in the corner of the shop and since I was in the HVAC trade I had the shop build be a blower cabinet. I was able to scrounge up a blower motor and wheel. I use a 4x24x24 filter and a wire mesh screen in front of that to filter the air before returning it to the space above my head. In the first picture you can see a Vacuum gage I made using mercury from hundreds of old Honeywell thermostats. Best investment I could have made. It now looks like this.
polish booth 1 copy.jpg
booth 2 copy.jpg
booth 3 copy.jpg

Back