Wanted - Hard Bags with attachment hardware for XS 650

Gordon in nc

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I know it's a long shot.....but I promised my ragged XS that if it got me home from the XS rally last year....through all that rain....I would NOT mount my cheapo plastic cooler bags back on it. Well it did it's part and now it's up to me to do mine.

I'm looking for a set of stock 1975 XS Bags with mounts. I figure they won't be cheap so I'm prepared for $$$$ shock. :yikes: Condition only has to be "usable"....they're going on a ragged bike so they just have to work.

Thanks in advance......money on the hip, :bike: Gordon in NC

Giving this a bump because I don't want to just give up. In the meantime I'm working on a subframe so I can mount the Velorex to the bike.

A sidecar is the ultimate motorcycle camping accessory. :bike:

Cheers......Gordon in NC

I don't know that I've ever seen "stock" hard bags/mounts for the XS...? I would think any era correct bags would have been the only thing available? But maybe I'm wrong?

I don't know that I've ever seen "stock" hard bags/mounts for the XS...? I would think any era correct bags would have been the only thing available? But maybe I'm wrong?

Well......your probably right but I think the problem lies with my incorrect use of the term "stock".

yamahaxs650-1975-2.jpg

I think "optional accessory" would have been more correct. BUT......I could be wrong. I "thought" Yamaha had these as an option in 1975. They even have a part number for the brackets you need to relocate the turn signals.

Either way...:)...THESE are what I'm looking for. :bike:

Gordon in NC

a couple of 1975 XS650Bs

PLEASE help a brother out.....I'm trying my best to NOT put my poor ole XS through this again. :laugh:

XS%20Southeast%202015%20064.jpg

:yikes: :wtf: :yikes: :eek:

Gordon in NC

a couple of 1975 XS650Bs .....one ratty runner and a parts bike

Yea....that Windjamer (Vetter) set up is nice....and your right, too bad about the bags being gone. BUT it's way too far for me to go pick up. Thanks for the link.

Brassneck, I've looked at some of those bags before. There's no doubt that they could be made to work but I really want a set of the ones pictured.....I have the cooler bags if I "have" to use some and right now I'm in the middle of a sub frame build for my Velorex 562 chair and if it's on the XS I can haul everything I need PLUS the kitchen sink!!!!!

Thanks for the help fellows.......it always helps to have other sets of eyes looking around.

I KNOW there's a set of the Yamaha bags sitting on a shelf some where that haven't been used in a decade or two.....maybe the owner will see this and finally decide to turn them into some cash instead of them just catching dust. :shrug:

Take care....spring (for us on this side of the world) is just around the corner....Gordon

Wow......so close. Those are a nice set of bags but they are a bit different. The Yamaha (?) bags have a straight rear section and those are slanted....and I think the latch is in a different place.

Those would look/work fine.....but for now, I'm going to keep the search going for a set like the ones I pictured.

Thank you for going to the trouble.....maybe someone else could take these off your hands?????

The search continues........Gordon in NC

1975 XS650B getting new shoes
1975 XS650B w/bits under the soda gun

Last edited:
Rockin',
From what I can tell from your pictures, those bags look a lot like 70's era HD Sportster bags. Had a set on my Sporty back in the 70's. They were almost identical to the Big Twin bags, but about 3/4 the size.

Mike

Rockin',
From what I can tell from your pictures, those bags look a lot like 70's era HD Sportster bags. Had a set on my Sporty back in the 70's. They were almost identical to the Big Twin bags, but about 3/4 the size.

Mike
Gotcha, I picked these up previously hoping to use on a future build, but to date I havn't found quite the right fairing to go with them, I want something angry looking shorter and with the right curves to go with the bags. I thought maybe these could help out a felow member so I posted them up. I don't necesarrily want to sell them because I know as soon as I do I will find the right fairing to go with them then I'll be :mad:

I really don't want to come off as being ungrateful. I appreciate all the replies and help....it means a lot.

There's just a big difference between "need" and "want".....I don't "need" hard bags, I have a set up I could use if need be (and believe me they have been used a lot... in at least 8 states) and then there's the side car.....if you've ever camped out of one you know how handy they can be.

BUT......I "want" a set of those pictured (on the XS650B ) ......sort of completes the bike I'm riding. So if i find them.....that's great....if I don't... I can live without them.

Thanks again for all the replies and help.....you guys are the best!!!! :thumbsup:

Take care....Gordon in NC

1975 XS650B with new sticky Avons
1975 XS650B I ran out of blasting soda :(

Last edited:
I may or may not have the exact bags you're looking for in red. Paint is pretty beat up on them and I was planning on running one of them. You wouldn't by chance be willing to run the left side only would you? I was skimming threw and saw some talk of a side car.

Posted via Mobile

These ones right? Also everyone please don't mind the monstrosity you see behind the bags

Attachments

• IMG_20160225_211127.jpg
    IMG_20160225_211127.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 304
These ones right? Also everyone please don't mind the monstrosity you see behind the bags

aznpride that sure looks right. I haven't seen a pair like I'm after in person (I'm still VERY new to the XS world) In the photo I posted it looks like the latch is in the front...which doesn't seem right???????? Yours looks like it's at the rear??? Wonder if somebody that knows for sure could help me out here?

Maybe what I'm seeing is a "hinge" or the top isn't hinged and has a latch at both ends....but your's sure look right from the photos I have of the "correct" (meaning the one I'm after...there might not be a correct at all)

I took the "chair" (read seat) out of my sidecar since I mostly use it for camping and hauling dogs around. When I have the sidecar.......I have PLENTY of room and wouldn't put a bag on.

Loaded001.jpg

(Note: there's a cover that goes on the sidecar to cover/protect all the camping gear/tools/spares)

I think it'd be a shame to break up that pair (I'm funny like that)......but if you wanted to get rid of both of them, I would be interested. OR.....I would be willing to source you a single????? and once you're happy with it you could let the two you got go.

Thanks for the help......maybe we can work out a deal that would work for both of us.

OH!!!! and all I see behind your nice build are TREASURES!!!!!!!

Gordon in NC

1975 XS650B......Lord those new tires are NICE!!!!
1975 XS650B Parts Bike.....soda on order
1978-79 XS650 Standard.....one of these days

Last edited:
Ya what you're seeing is a rear latch. The entire top actually comes off. They are also fiberglass.

And ya I haven't seen a set until I laid eyes on mine and knew I had to have them.

I get not wanting to split the set and I feel the same way

I dig the side car man!

And my bike is sitting much differently then that picture. Haha almost embarrassed of how it looks in that pic.

Posted via Mobile

Back