Hard Cold Starting

Gpaws1968

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1981 XS650 Special.
I am having a hard time starting the bike from cold, it turns over fine and will start but if I don't keep the revs up and the choke out for about 5 minutes it will stall, and then I have to let it stand for a bit before retrying. Any hints

Cold start with choke and leaving the choke open or half open until warm sounds to me like normal operation.

Are you kicking or using the electric leg? My SK won’t cold start with the electric start, but it’s one or two kicks if the proper technique is used.

1981 XS650 Special.
I am having a hard time starting the bike from cold, it turns over fine and will start but if I don't keep the revs up and the choke out for about 5 minutes it will stall, and then I have to let it stand for a bit before retrying. Any hints
I agree with Marty: Sounds normal to me. The '81 Special was jetted rather lean from the factory, so the choke is needed for a few minutes or so, especially if it is cold out. No need to pursue any "problems" in my opinion.
If your plugs are dirty it might take a minute more to run clearly.

Best choke for the 34's is the cable actuated mod found on the '82's and '83's. No half stepping there but the full swing from open to closed. Worked a charm on my old '83.

As mentioned choke and kick start ..But the battery can be weak and old also

Cold start with choke and leaving the choke open or half open until warm sounds to me like normal operation.

Are you kicking or using the electric leg? My SK won’t cold start with the electric start, but it’s one or two kicks if the proper technique is used.
Electric

What you’re experiencing is typical. You can try dismantling the starter and cleaning the internals, possibly changing the brushes. Or possibly new coils will do it. I’ve had my SK for 40 years and my cold starts have been with the kicker for all of that.

Hey Melnic, welcome aboard.
Pics of the bike?
Sounds like it cranks n fires fine then is Grumpy about running til warmed?
Stock carbs? any other changes? (why I asked for pics)
Have you;
worked on the carbs?
adjusted idle screws?

Hey Melnic, welcome aboard.
Pics of the bike?
Sounds like it cranks n fires fine then is Grumpy about running til warmed?
Stock carbs? any other changes? (why I asked for pics)
Have you;
worked on the carbs?
adjusted idle screws?
The bike is stock standard, it stood for a long time and the previous owner removed the carbs and cleaned them, I'm thinking of removing them and having them cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner.

I also have had 2 x bikes 1980 --last owner segment -- close to 40 years poor wiring Carburetors almost never a problem No e start ..trying to long e -start it wont start on kick either

Cleaning carbs yes, lots of hand work, removing checking each piece of brass. I won't do carbs without replacing throttle shaft seals. the choke pickup orifice located in the float bowl, a common issue on carbs that have been sitting. Removing cleaning the needle jet often overlooked.
ChokeJet2.jpg
:twocents: Ultrasonic baths don't really do much as far as cleaning fuel circuits. I have a big powerful UltraSonic cleaner, meh.

Last edited:
Back