Hardtail welding??

motorbreath

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So i jush tack welded it for now but i was wondering if anyone could give me there opinion on if it looks right, i tried sending other pics of it but they wont works so this is all i have
photo.php

Also, how would anybody rake out the neck, whats the best way to do it, i looked at a couple threads but they were all raked diff. Also what degree would anybody go with i was thinking, either 36 or 42?
Also, one more ?, what kind of welder would you recommend, i have about 400 dollars to get one, and if i do rake the neck, ill have somebody who can weld do it, while i practice on my jeep!

do yourself a favor and rosette weld the front halves of those lower rails onto the slugs.

you should be able to find a nice used lincoln weld pak 140 for $400 or less.

hello all,
i see a lot of hardtail welding like in the pic below.
now is my question is it save to do it on the plate that is welded on the fram because it only holds on the blue lines that is where the plate is welded to the frame tube.
on my frame i removed that plate and welded it to the frame tube i think its much stronger like that.

so my question is that is it strong enough on the plate like in the pic?

IMG_4814.jpg

that back bone plate should be plenty strong to weld onto. welding the open seams like Tech7 will only make it stronger, good preventative measure.

pulling those top rails on the hardtail down lower than theyre supposed to be, will put stress on the welds. how much stress? i dont know. enough for the welds to fail over time? i cant say.

one things for sure, if you want a drop seat hardtail - buy/make an actual drop seat. dont take a regular hardtail like, say a TC bros and force/distort them into a drop seat

No offense to xxxxWallyxxxx, but bobber bill so i dont want my upper part to be pushed down that far and welded? Mine is good where it is?

Wow, I had no idea that the kit came with such bad gaps at the backbone point / seat area. And that lower slug into the backbone looks crooked? Are they all like that?

Im sure it will be fine welded up with a MIG though. If you can find someone with a frame jig to mount it in, thats the only way to be 100% sure that the frame is straight and ready to weld up...

No offense to xxxxWallyxxxx, but bobber bill so i dont want my upper part to be pushed down that far and welded? Mine is good where it is?

yes it is, as far as lining up the backbone to the upper rails on the hardtail. this is the way that they were made to fit

Wow, I had no idea that the kit came with such bad gaps at the backbone point / seat area. And that lower slug into the backbone looks crooked? Are they all like that?

Im sure it will be fine welded up with a MIG though. If you can find someone with a frame jig to mount it in, thats the only way to be 100% sure that the frame is straight and ready to weld up...

they are all like that. the slugs arent crooked, the OD on the slugs just dont match the ID of the lower frame rails. the gaps at the backbone bend are "normal" too. you should weld as much of it as possible by filling and gusset it afterward. DEFINITELY gusset it.

ive spoked to the guys at TC bros a number of times regarding this. they make them this way because of the subtle differences in XS650 frames over the years. this way, the hardtails can be "fitted" to all years.

probably not the best opportunity for a first time welder/fabricator to practice on. which is why i suggested to motorbreath that he should rosette weld the slugs, along with some gusseting at the other connections.

Bobber bill what exactly is a rosetta weld? I'm sure if I tell the guy who's welding it hell know but I'm just curious

I was gonna ask the same thing. I think it might mean to drill holes in the frame where the slug enters then weld the holes. That way the slug is welded to the frame.

^ That's exactly what it means. Usually done when slugs are used if there is room. Most times it's overkill but why not I guess.

The other thing that I did that you may consider doing is getting some tubing, or machining, as I did, a piece the same diameter as the backbone where that skinny slug is at the lower cross brace.(your 4th picture down) It looks much better. Of course I left the slug in there, and plug welded it in.

The other thing that I did that you may consider doing is getting some tubing, or machining, as I did, a piece the same diameter as the backbone where that skinny slug is at the lower cross brace.(your 4th picture down) It looks much better. Of course I left the slug in there, and plug welded it in.

something like this?

DSC_1708.jpg

Back