Harley Davidson XL Sportster Narrow glide conversion : How To

Just got my KYB ironhead and 34mm xs trees back from the machine shop. I'm running a 21 with Avon SM. I'll check my trail numbers when I get it all mounted up. Check my build thread for details.

4 things when mocking up my KYB sporty front.
1) Still need to finalize the stem placement in the lower tree to make sure the two bearings are correctly positioned so as to be able to be preloaded. The top bearing has a lip it sits on and the bottom is an interferiance fit. I can not take it too far or I will have to beat the lower bearing back down the stem and try again.

2) Who ever did the frame welded a nice square stop on the front of the neck. I'll do the dowel pin trick to create steering stops. Spot, drill, set, weld and done.

3) Bigger issues. First the top tree of my KYB tree isn't a perfect fit like the Showa fork. The stem hole is too big. The machinist guy made an aluminum sleeve that goes into the hole. Plan is to weld this in then bandsaw the notch/break in it so it will be permanently part of the tree. Machine the welds on both sides down and then the slot will act as the tree does and clamp down on the stem. Second, the top tree doesn't sit flush with the top of the stem. It sits lower which makes the spacer stick out. I can't decide if I want to machine a tiny bit off the bottom of the tree, spacer sleeve or both or the two fasteners that clamp the tree on the bike or a combination of all. Need to stare at it for a while and work it out in my head

4) I'm wondering if I should also machine a sleeve/collar out of steel and press it down on top of the bottom tree. This step is on the xs tree and allows for the use of a bottom seal.

I'll take pics of all of this in my next post. Here it is mocked up
10302737_10203673118131458_1450530945536469317_n.jpg

10291072_10203673134691872_7552639965029432161_n.jpg

To answer a question from awhile back in this thread is the Narrow Harley is 7 inches ctc on the forks, the XS650 is 7.25 inches ctc on the forks.
I doubt anyone would notice the difference in the width.
Leo

To answer a question from awhile back in this thread is the Narrow Harley is 7 inches ctc on the forks, the XS650 is 7.25 inches ctc on the forks.
I doubt anyone would notice the difference in the width.
Leo

Out of curiosity,I went out and measured the narrow glide frontend on the Shovelhead. Mine is 6 1/2 center to center. With 35mm forks. I can see a pretty good difference Side by side. But your right most people wouldn't notice the change.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
I measured the forks on my '03 FXDX. I'm not sure which brand forks they are but are 39mm that are very adjustable. Spring preload by turning an adjuster in the top of the fork, as well as compression and rebound.
Leo

Back