Harley forks on xs650

sid693

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone tried running 35mm harley tubes on an xs650? Wanting to run harley forks, brakes, and 1 inch fluid reservoir. Figure I would ask before I start accumulations parts that may not work. Thanks

The only things I can think to consider at the moment. The steering stem will be different so you'll have to adapt it to fit the xs neck, or you can stick with the xs trees but you'll have to make spacers so the Harley axles align correctly...

I think I can find someone to machine some. But now that I am aware of the spacing difference I can see how it would woek. Thanks again for the input. Now I can get the hamster spinning and see how to get this done. I actually found a guy with fork lowers and brakes. The lowers I currently am running were shaved pretty horribly and I am not sure if they will last much longer.

Why not just use a complete HARLEY front end. Install just like you would do a springer,
More wheels and brakes around to buy.
This bike has 2001 Harley SPORTSTER front end with brakes and 21" wheel and Harley rear 18" with brakes. Pic does not show front brake

Attachments

• 100_0856.jpg
    100_0856.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 1,195
  • 100_0855.jpg
    100_0855.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 649
  • wht_bk.jpg
    wht_bk.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 789
  • xs650-chop-noid-white_bike-587x440.jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-white_bike-587x440.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 677
The only thing you cut is 1/16 off the bottom of the neck tube for the new XS650 race to sit flush. Its installed the same as a Springer.
TOP/BOTTOM races are XS650 you buy a ALLBALLS kit but don't use bearings
Two 1" bearing for Harley or you can also use 1" trailer bearings
I never use the cup kits because some don't leave enough thread for top tree. You would have to check what they sell. I have a place here in NJ that just sells the bearings and races separate so I never needed to buy from someone else.
You guys from NJ or Philly can go to FAZIOS in Turnersville . You will never leave LOL
I buy tube stock- square stock- nuts - bolts -axles bearings- Flat stock you can find it all.

Daddy G.. How in the world do you get the original steering neck race bearings out?? I see you have done several springers on the XS.. I'm having heck getting the original ball-bearing races out of the top and bottom of the neck with out cutting them out!!

Its a trick and I don't want to share it.............:D

HAHA
Long screw driver and tap them out just don't get crazy with the hammer:thumbsup:

Ahaaaa.. Lol.. I new it would be something easy.. The long screw-driver want bite on the bearing at all.. I'm going to have to break out the drimel and small cutting disc cut a v and chisel the turds out dang it!

Oh I believe you.. Not sure what the deal is.. I can't load pics for some reason.. I do have a couple of photos in my album.. Not really sure what I even have.. Picked the bike up thinking it was a stock neck but it appears it has a rake in it.. I'm wanting to use a moto-iron springer but I got to get these darn bearings OUT! Lol...

I don't think you will get the old Harley forks to work in XS trees. The top of those Harley forks taper to fit into tapered holes in the trees, the fork caps lock the forks into the trees.
The XS don't taper.
Leo

Back