Harley Test Rides

XSLeo

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I had been hearing about the Utica Harley dealer having a test drive for all the 2012 models. Harley brought in a truckload of new bikes. One of each new model. It was to be Saturday and Sunday.
I wasn't going to go, figured there would be so many people I wouldn't get to ride any. This morning I said WTF I might as well go look at the bikes.
I got up there and it wasn't to crowded so I signed up and rode a few.
Ride #1 was a Dyna Street Glide. Pretty much the same as my '03 FXDX. One front disc no adjustable shocks, Mini ape hangers.
I mostly wanted to see how much stronger the 103 inch engines ran than my 88 inch.
It ran well, pulled good. With the 6 speed tranny it ran about 2000 rpm at 55.
Ride #2 was the new Dyna Switchback. It has detachable hard bags and windshield. Pulled about the same but had a noisier exhaust. Talked a bit louder.
Of these two did they impress me enough to want to trade mine in for one? No way. They were stronger runners and had a few gizmos to play with, but not enough more to consider getting a new bike or spending the cash to upgrade my 88 to 103.
Ride #3 was the Sportster XR1200. This bike impressed me the most. It has tons of acceleration and the machine was capable of going much faster than I could get it on the test ride.
It was nimble and quick. I think it could out run an XS even with a good 750 kit rebuild unless you did good head work and cam.
The guy said they are over 85 HP. Redline at 7000 rpms. The rev limiter kicks in about there.
I rode Scabbers 750 kitted bike with the bigger cam and that was impressive. I think it would out do an 883 Sportster, maybe even one of the 1200 Customs. Not the XR1200.
The XR1200 has the edge in high tech suspension. Very adjustable.
It can't replace my XS, but if I had the money it could have a place in the garage.
They even had one of the trikes. That and the faired bikes didn't appeal to me so I didn't ride them.
Don't care much for the softails either.
If a dealer near you has a test ride day near you, you might enjoy a few test rides.
Leo

the sportster is the only harley i'd ever consider - look nice, fun bikes and about the only model that is priced somewhat reasonably.

i've ridden a softail and police cruiser classic before and was not impressed by either model

I go up to AZ bike week every year and do the test rides of all the different manufactures bikes. I would never pay the price for a Harley. Not enough bang for your buck. The only one that pulled like it should was the Screaming Eagle but there is no way I would ever come close paying that much for a bike. I will keep my slightly modded Yamaha Warrior hands down over any of the bikes I rode. The 102" is gets down without the hefty price tag.
[/IMG]

Attachments

• 0403001128a.jpg
    0403001128a.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1
The xr1200 intrigues me too. It's overweight though. If it wasn't still wouldn't get one though, just because I'm satisfied with my xs. Don't need more than one bike. One is enough trouble :)

Think Im gonna go to my local one. The only metric bike I would by is an old one. I wouldnt be caught dead on an "new" metric! haha I always think its fun seeing the harley flame threads on here. Ive been in to xs's before there were "cool" so im not to worried about the flaming....

Anyway thanks for the insight Leo I think it will be worth burning the free gas!

85 HP...yeah at the crank. You'll be luck to have 60 at the rear wheel with the stock setup. Also the new 103ci motors are pathetic compare to the victories and especially to the 113 Star Raider and Suz M109's.

85 HP...yeah at the crank. You'll be luck to have 60 at the rear wheel with the stock setup. Also the new 103ci motors are pathetic compare to the victories and especially to the 113 Star Raider and Suz M109's.

Completely agree. Haven ridden a lot of bikes the Victorys are uncomfortable at best, 5 minutes on the factory saddle and my tail bone hurt. The Raider is a nice bike but even with the 113 the little 102 Warrior still pulls harder. I was sad to see Yamaha remove it from the line up.
A side note:
883 Sportster weighs 563 lbs and has 55 hp
Raider weighs 729 lbs with 90 hp
Warrior weighs 650 lbs with 80 hp
Hammer weighs 672 lbs(dry others are wet weight) with 97 hp.
I would take 87 pound difference between the Warrior and 883 for the 25 hp gain and gobs more torque any day of the week since you can pic them up for about the same price used.

Not a chance that a stock warrior out pulls a raider. I've owned both. Warrior is faster in the twisties but it won't walk away from a raider. Raider destroys the warrior in stoplight racing and the quarter mile. I know guys who are pulling low 9s at the track with raiders.

Most of us with raider's ditch the stock exhaust first thing we do. That drops at least 30lbs right there even regardless of the aftermarket exhaust you add...mine with full fluids has weighed out at 703lbs. The greatest thing about the raider is that you have 85hp and 120lbs torque stock all in a useable range of the RPM. Not like HD or others where you're only getting big numbers at very high Unsuable RPMs. I'm running 96hp and 120lbs torque with my raider, dyno'd. The raider has a remarkably flat HP and torque curves where most other bikes don't, partially because its a stroked 113. Bottom line, the raider spanks the warrior in a straight line when both bikes are modded equivalently. I also know at least a dozen raider owners who've also owned and loved their warriors who will tell you the same thing.

Drag wise, the only bikes (equivalent mods wise) that even offer the raider a challenge are the newest Vrods. But the raider will still take them in a quarter with a decent rider on it. Past a quarter the vrod is going to win due to its high revs. M109 can also be a challenge sometimes. Triump Rocket III's spank all the other production cruisers but its kind of apples to oranges with that bike.

Back