Hartmut's XS head massage

inxs

xx
Reaction score
http://www.britishclassicbikes.de/H...nt&task=category&sectionid=11&id=68&Itemid=93

by Hartmut...my translation

Today I routed the chamber crowns out of a fucked XS head

- im attempting to improve performance. Mostly the crown is up to 12 mm thick and operates like an element in mums stove-not particularly performance oriented-
my note...we had this problem years ago adapting a water cooled johnson outboard engine to a speedway kart-even with liquid cooling the overall weight was lower and performance higher...

- tomorrow i will clean the combustion chamber up and weld in filler - i want a flatter chamber, steeper inlet canal and to change the valve angles...dreams and reality - we shall see what happens

w_01.jpg

w_02.jpg

w_03.jpg

- meanwhile ive modified the inlet canal and welded a plate in...next i will raise the canal and reangle it

w_04.jpg

w_05.jpg

w_06.jpg

- target is compression 12:1 with flat 86mm pistons...together with changed valve angles and modified chamber geometry im hoping for positive results

- im not sure what im going to do for valves but think that i might get away with originals...
my note-not so sure as the angle will be different, at least the valve stem head will need reangling and hardening
...as the top end will be in the same position as before, just the valve and inlet canal angles will differ-a la Norton Big Valve

- i dont consider larger valves absolutely necessary as im looking for better torque-this is to go into a sidecross machine

- finished the welding orgie after 0.5kg alu...now for the inlet canal

- well i wonder what the outcome of this exercise will be-at the very least its some alu welding practise...

Wow that's a little more than a massage! How old is that article? I'd be interested in any updates and to see how this ends up.

- last contact was june...the above article was published this year...updates will eventually come...when?-anybodies guess...

Back